Aircraft of the Kentucky Air National Guard

To discuss future builds, build planning for the future, time travel, etc. Our meeting next week was well attended.
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Aircraft of the Kentucky Air National Guard

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:
LyleW wrote:The Airfix kit is another option if you can find it.
As I mentioned above, there is one for sale in the UK - although I'm not sure if the seller will ship to the US. If you're desperate Lyle I can pick it up on your behalf and ship it to you.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart, the B-57 kit for sale on eBay is 1/72, not 1/48. I really wish that Airfix would reissue more of their 1/48 Canberra kits. They only have one on the market now. :sad:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:Stuart, the B-57 kit for sale on eBay is 1/72, not 1/48. I really wish that Airfix would reissue more of their 1/48 Canberra kits. They only have one on the market now. :sad:
:bag: woops! Totally missed that, sorry - I didn't actually know they made a 1/72 B-57! You can still make an RB-57E from the base B-57 kit though, if the MM review is to believed, and the offer still stands if you want me to source one from the UK.

When it comes to Airfix's 1/48 Canberra's, sadly they can't do all the RAF range anymore as they :quotes: modified :quotes: the tool to make B-57. You can still get the two-seat side by side models (under the bubble canopy) in a red box release but not variants with the off centre single seat canopies - like the one I have.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Airfix released all of their original 1/48 Canberras within a short time span. More than likely they have separate fuselage and corresponding canopy sprues, as that is prime difference between the versions released: offset, fishbowl, and tandem centerline (USAF). I have the offset B.(I)8, kit in my stash, but love to get the USAF and Fishbowl types also. The fishbowl B(i)6/20 is the one they recently reissued, so hopefully I can find one for a good price.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:Airfix released all of their original 1/48 Canberras within a short time span. More than likely they have separate fuselage and corresponding canopy sprues, as that is prime difference between the versions released: offset, fishbowl, and tandem centerline (USAF). I have the offset B.(I)8, kit in my stash, but love to get the USAF and Fishbowl types also. The fishbowl B(i)6/20 is the one they recently reissued, so hopefully I can find one for a good price.
Ignore me - it was the 1/72 Fishbowl B.(I).6 tool that they converted into an RB-57, not the 1/48.

The B.(I).8 is a nice looking kit, I have one in the stash too - it has the markings in the kit for an aircraft flown by a friend of my wife, a former test pilot that taught her spin recovery and aerobatics in the T-67.

tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I recently picked up the 48th PR.9. I would love to get an entire collection of Canberras
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I found an B-57B from Airfix ... sheesh, seemed expensive. Bagged kit, no box. It was inventoried and missing a couple of small resin parts. I guess it is because they are hard to find.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart, we could never ignore you. :wink: Love your style man.

Lyle, yeah the Airfix B/G kits have probably at least doubled in cost over the past several years since they went OOP. When new those were usually north of $50 at the usual bargain spots. Nowadays it’s certainly a sellers market

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I bought two when they were first issued. I built the B-57B using a CMK cockpit set and a Phase Hangar tail correction set. I posed the canopy open because it is a little low in profile but also to let the cockpit be more visible. It was a nice build. The second kit is a B.2/20 which I will probably build as a B-57A, but I might relent and do it in RAF colors.

It looks like the B-57B/G kit was only released once so far.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Wow, that looks great!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Future Builds”