Papagei Staffel Red 4

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: Papagei Staffel Red 4

Post by KSaarni »

The cockpit of an FW-190 was, and still is, really modern looking !

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

A great start Ken - looking good. Personally I avoid PE like the plague and would much rather just use paint.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

The details on those side consoles were very very small. I’m not good enough at painting and dry crushing to bring them out so Insmoothed the surfaces and installed the PE that Eduard supplied with the kit. Looks way nicer than anything I could do.

Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Oh yeah! Very nice start on the 1/48 Eduard Dora. I've done a D-13 but not a D-11 or D-12 so this will be interesting to watch. Let me know if you need any information on Red 4. I have the Dora books which describe the JV44 aircraft extensively.

The Eduard PE stuff is quite nice! If you want to cut down on the graininess, try shooting them with a light flat coat... that seems to cut down that weird texture that the pre-painted PE stuff exhibits.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

John,

Thank you for stopping by with the good word. I appreciate it, it means a lot. Your love of the Dora and the extensive work you’ve done with the aircraft is a big reason why I started paying attention to them. You know me, I’m a “Messerschmitt guy” if we’re talking German aircraft. But there’s just something about these 190 D’s… anyway yes sir, I am actually adding to a running list of questions concerning Red 4 and I’m having some difficulty finding resources about the subject. I can ping you here in the thread, or through DM’s here on SPAM. Your help
Would be hugely appreciated.

Also! Regarding the Eduard PE! Thanks for the tip on the flat coat! I was
Worried about that. They look great to my eyes (under magnification) but I couldn’t get a sharp photo no matter what I tried. I’ll make sure to post more pics of the pit after I flat coat it. And one word to the PE itself. It’s oft cited that Eduard’s PE IP’s and consoled ate “flat.” And yeah, they kinda are. But that’s a huge strength when it comes to replicating the fine details of those side panels. They work beautifully there.

I got the lower IP started late last night. Here it is, dry fit on the cockpit module. Small fiddly bits will be added to it today probably.

Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

The pit is looking awesome Kenny!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Thank you Floki!

I’ve done some more work on it with the paints and washes and stuff. Trying to build up a nice, subtle collection of effects in layers. I’ll share more pics after I’ve gone about the business of adding the rest of the PE fiddly bits, and treated the whole thing with a flat coat.
Kenny X
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Oh HELL yeah!!! Man am I ever glad to see you back Kenny!! And he kicks things off with a 190 build. I'll be tuning into this one for sure!!
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Jerry Crandall's (RIP) Dora Volume 2 has a big section on JV44. Red 4 was the least photographed of the documented Doras so there aren't many good photos of Red 4 available. I am posting a few snapshots of some of the information that might help you on your build...

John aka JKim
-----------<><
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Mr. Mustang! Great seeing you too my man! And thanks for following. I sure hope I can do this bird justice.

John, man oh man I was hoping that the faint “58” and chevron weren’t documented as being visible. No such luck :lol: I’m going to have to noodle how I want to deal with that. It’ll
Make for a cool effect that’s for sure! At the the underside stripes, no documentation on exact placement! Just that it had them! That means I could *technically* get away with doing the EVH stripes after all :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kenny X

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”