AMT 2017 Camaro "Fifty"-Recovery Time! 01/21

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

Re: AMT 2017 Camaro "Fifty"-Tail Light Dots??!! 01/06

Post by mustang1989 »

keavdog wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:23 am That would kinda piss me off. Interesting BK. If that's the case it will happen again with the new crank and bearing.
Jeez, I hope not. He's gonna line bore it and see what he finds out. Time'll tell....that's for sure.

And you're right. I'm pretty well pissed about it but what can a guy do? He's offering to make it right on his end and I trust him. As they say, s#%t happens. :wink:
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Brandons_Iron wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:10 am I was an auto tech more many years and when I was working at a GM dealer we had quite a few late 80's early 90's small blocks that came from the factory with a poor line bore. We did a TON of warranty engine swaps. The fix on all those motors is a good ole fashioned line bore. If you can still do it, I would have him do it, even if he thinks it doesn't need it. It's good insurance.
Every one of those engines had the same symptoms you described.
He suggested just that Brandon. This guy's almost 80 years old and has been doing this stuff for decades. He's old school and definitely has a ton of experience. The first thing he said for me to check was the thrust bearing and sho nuff....he was right. Crank had about 1/32" play back and forth. Line bore it is along with a new crank and bearings.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

And the bad luck continues onward in scale world too.

Well, today was paint day. I managed to get the color coat on the body, hood and rear spoiler. Such a pretty coat too and THEN.....I accidentally knocked the body over and it fell out of the drying booth and onto bottles/ tools and everything else below. :headbang:

Welp.....there aint a thing I can do but wait a few days for everything to cure out and wet sand the affected areas and march on. Man....it was looking THAT good too. Pics later on when I get the modeling room completely ventilated. That paint was some stout stuff and the ventilation fan was having a tough time getting rid of all the fumes/ odor.

Passengers side along with the roof line and R/H front on that same side took the hits. I've found a darker primer to use once I get the affected areas wet sanded and smoothed out. Then it'll go in the paint booth again to get it all straighted out.

Drivers side turned out like a dream aside from the far left hand corner up front. I'll get it all ironed out.

keavdog
Elite Member

Re: AMT 2017 Camaro "Fifty"-Paint Blues-04/14

Post by keavdog »

Bummer! Drivers side looks sharp
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I’m sorry my last few days at the bench spilled over to affect you. Drivers side does look awesome!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

keavdog wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:43 pm Bummer! Drivers side looks sharp
I thought I was gonna puke when it first happened but hey......that's the way it goes in modeling. I've got a pretty dark gray primer that I'll be using in the affected areas after I get the wet sanding done and then I'll re-shoot those areas. I will say that I really enjoy working with Gravity Colors. Stuff shoots on like silk.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

LyleW wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:06 pm I’m sorry my last few days at the bench spilled over to affect you. Drivers side does look awesome!
LOL!!! :giggles: We'll both get past it Lyle. Thanks bro.
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Post by Brandons_Iron »

keavdog wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:23 am That would kinda piss me off. Interesting BK. If that's the case it will happen again with the new crank and bearing.
It may be just fine. But for the extra cost it's totally worth the piece of mind. I won't build engines now without a line bore and decking. But, I build my motors to last forever, not just the next race. Race motors are built different than daily drivers are, and for a good reason. Factory blocks are no better made than the rest of the car. This is why high end sports cars cost so much, they are built with far tighter tolerances. When I did my last motor we line bored, decked and balanced. Had to replace the factory crank as it would not correctly balance and my machinist told me this is likely why that motor developed a low end knock. (this was one of those warranty motors, I took the core and built a killer motor) So, new crank and line bore, balanced to within .5 grams. Worth the extra money.
BrandonK

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

Hey Joe, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been when we talked, but darn close. That is still a head scratcher. But I agree on the "should have been thumping a bunch more" theory . Scary stuff. Sorry about the Camaro paint job, sometimes we have both kinds of luck. Bad and worse. Hang in there bud!! The entire build is looking fantastic so far.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Things are lookin' up in both worlds. Cranks ordered along with new bearings. Just waiting for a slot to take the engine in for the work.

I was able to wet sand the affected areas yesterday amidst all the football games and shoot some primer on the areas this morning. Will be painting this Friday.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”