AMT 2017 Camaro "Fifty"-Recovery Time! 01/21

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Re: AMT 2017 Camaro "Fifty"-Moving Forward-01/16

Post by Brandons_Iron »

Oh ya. You're gonna totally save this one. Great work.
BrandonK

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I'm glad to hear things are looking up both on and off the bench Joe, looking forward to seeing the final paint job!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Brandons_Iron wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:38 am Oh ya. You're gonna totally save this one. Great work.
I appreciate the vote of confidence Brandon!!
Stuart wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:23 pm I'm glad to hear things are looking up both on and off the bench Joe, looking forward to seeing the final paint job!
STUART ol buddy!! Thanks for poppin' in pal. Hopefully I can get some of this bad "ju-ju" off of my plate and start seeing some fruits of labor in both worlds soon. lol
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Uh, can’t say “ju-lu”...

Just kidding! We are grown-ups here! :tease:

Never a doubt on fixing the paint! You are too good at that.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Man I hate it when that happens. Looks like you can fix it without too much problem.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Medicman71 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:35 pm Man I hate it when that happens. Looks like you can fix it without too much problem.
LyleW wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:49 am Uh, can’t say “ju-lu”...

Just kidding! We are grown-ups here! :tease:

Never a doubt on fixing the paint! You are too good at that.
I appreciate the votes of confidence fellas.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I'm going to circle back around to this for just a sec. Lets start again with the pic of the engine bearing failure.

It appears that my solid back up engine is exhibiting signs of the same kind of failure which I'll be able to elaborate on later today (my oil pressure has been dropping off a little) by checking crankshaft end play. I just hope that I'm not going to be bumming rides at this point. I just installed a transmission about a month ago and the builder of that built it with a ton of high-performance parts so I'm going to test the transmission line pressure to make sure I don't have an over pressure problem in the tranny. Something is awry in the state of Denmark here I can tell you that.
It turns out there are a NUMBER of reasons for thrust bearing failure which is what happened here. The #2 main bearing journal pictured above is a result of thrust bearing failure in my engine. Torque converter ballooning can be a concern as well as engine grounding (believe that or not). Right now, everything is on the table. My machinist is going to line bore then engine anyways but right now everything is suspect until I find out the root cause. In the meantime the plan is 1.) check engine grounding, 2.) proceed with line bore of engine, 3.) check transmission line pressure, 4) purchase a converter with an anti ballooning plate (the stall that I've got in there now wasn't a cheap converter by any means but there's no anti ballooning plate on it.) From what I've read and viewed , anti ballooning plates aren't really necessary on the street but I'm taking all precautions at this point. Right now I'm looking at 2 grand to get this truck back together the way I had it and I aint takin' no chances.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

No pic showing, but what a grind this is turning into.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Post by TheMongoose »

mustang1989 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:20 am I'm going to circle back around to this for just a sec. Lets start again with the pic of the engine bearing failure.

It appears that my solid back up engine is exhibiting signs of the same kind of failure which I'll be able to elaborate on later today (my oil pressure has been dropping off a little) by checking crankshaft end play. I just hope that I'm not going to be bumming rides at this point. I just installed a transmission about a month ago and the builder of that built it with a ton of high-performance parts so I'm going to test the transmission line pressure to make sure I don't have an over pressure problem in the tranny. Something is awry in the state of Denmark here I can tell you that.
It turns out there are a NUMBER of reasons for thrust bearing failure which is what happened here. The #2 main bearing journal pictured above is a result of thrust bearing failure in my engine. Torque converter ballooning can be a concern as well as engine grounding (believe that or not). Right now, everything is on the table. My machinist is going to line bore then engine anyways but right now everything is suspect until I find out the root cause. In the meantime the plan is 1.) check engine grounding, 2.) proceed with line bore of engine, 3.) check transmission line pressure, 4) purchase a converter with an anti ballooning plate (the stall that I've got in there now wasn't a cheap converter by any means but there's no anti ballooning plate on it.) From what I've read and viewed , anti ballooning plates aren't really necessary on the street but I'm taking all precautions at this point. Right now I'm looking at 2 grand to get this truck back together the way I had it and I aint takin' no chances.
Yeah the grounding one is crazy! Essentially you plate the crank with the babbit from the bearing, thus no metal in the oil. Will be wild if that is it. I’ve only read about that and never met anyone who experienced it. Not that it’s any consolation on your part, but hey :shocked:
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I hear you on that bud. Crankshaft and new bearings will be coming in on Monday next week. Now just waiting for a slot to take the whole thing to Bruce so he can work his magic. I checked transmission pressure yesterday and found that it was in the 140-150 psi range at 3500 rpm which is well within specs so no worries there. Engine grounding is no longer an issue. Now I'm gonna snag a torque converter with an anti ballooning plate and wait for the engine to be fixed up. Shouldn't have this issue again folks.

As for my Camaro build.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiits recovery time!!! Got 'er all painted up yesterday. Still have a few touch ups to do and then it's off to the decaling process and then gloss coats!!! The end is coming into view!!!

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”