AMT 2017 Camaro "Fifty"-Recovery Time! 01/21

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
LyleW
Admin

Re: AMT 2017 Camaro "Fifty"-Body Panel Inserts-01/03

Post by LyleW »

mustang1989 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:04 am
Medicman71 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:39 am Very nice! I'd so knock those mirrors off.
And that's why I pin just about every appendage on auto models. lol. Thanks Mike!!
I can just imagine how many pin drill holes I’d have in my hands, fingers, nose, etc.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Looking good Joe !

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Re: AMT 2017 Camaro "Fifty" Anniversary Edition

Post by TheMongoose »

mustang1989 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:18 pm I started on one of my favorite parts, the engine. This stuff from Vallejo is REALLY good. OMG it sprays on like a frickin' dream!!

OK you gotta tell me how you get it to spray like a dream! I do love it, it looks great I just struggle to get it to spray without looking splotchy. It seems to come out chunky and I either overthink it or don’t send it enough maybe?
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Re: AMT 2017 Camaro "Fifty"-Interior Completed-12/06

Post by TheMongoose »

mustang1989 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:49 am In moving on to the body prep. Man.....I've really got my work cut out for me with the car body. LOTS of work to do to clean this puppy up.
First off, I need to drop this thing another scale inch in the front but have a plan in place already for that. :hmm:

In the following photos I'll point out the problem areas that need to be dealt with. Some are fairly easy but some are going to take some elbow grease and finesse to pull off.

In this photo there are the sprue attachment points on the inside of the engine bay opening and then some flash/ raised mold line at the very top of both front fenders.

This photo CLEARLY shows the NASTY mold/ seam line at each of the front corners of the car body and some flash on the underside of the front facia. I've got my work cut out for me here.

Here are the areas at the rear of the car in the inside of the rear window opening and a mold line at the rear quarter panels.

And then finally, a better view of the mold lines at the top of each fender and on the roof line.

With all of that being said, I'm hoping to have the body cleaned up and primed by this weekend so I can commence painting by next weekend.
Well i’m up to page 6! Love this and i was thinking maybe i could try one as this is a cool style. AND THEN I got to pg 6 and went hell no, I haven’t done enough cars to handle those mold seams :headbang: :lol:
I’m sure it’s going to look beautiful by the time i get to pg 11 but I’m committed to no spoilers :nono: on this read through
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

LOL!!! No spoilers....I promise. :giggles:

Lyle: :giggles: Thanks for the laughs pal.

Kari: Thanks a million buddy!

Thank you for stoppin' in Chris and so glad to have you here at this site! This is a really good kit but it needs a little TLC in a few areas. One of those being the tail lights. Ya know......the auto modeling world could take a few hints from the aviation side of the house by NOT putting frickin' DOTS in the middle of the dang lenses. I mean....what tha heck us up with THAT??!! :Beaver: Those things give auto builds SUCH a toy look!!! :headbang:

The lens on the right has been given "the treatment" and the one on the left is as it was out of the box:

LyleW
Admin

Re: AMT 2017 Camaro "Fifty"-Tail Light Dots??!! 01/06

Post by LyleW »

Nice work!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Post by Brandons_Iron »

Isn't that the most difficult part of building cars, getting rid of all the stupid stuff that makes them look like toys? Great work, Joe. :bow:
BrandonK

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Brandons_Iron wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:52 am Isn't that the most difficult part of building cars, getting rid of all the stupid stuff that makes them look like toys? Great work, Joe. :bow:
LyleW wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:22 amNice work!
Thanks fellas and yes it sure is Brandon.

Still on this fellas. Sorry for the absence over the last few days. I developed a rod knock in my small block Chevrolet in my truck last week and it was one of those times when I hoped that what I was hearing wasn't what I thought it was. It'd been nice if it was a piece of carbon that broke loose and was bouncing around on top of the piston making a noise but I know a rod knock when I hear it.......so out it came and in went my spare engine which took up alot of my weekend and then I was worn smooth out afterwards. Any remaining time I had went to my wife and then.....resting.

I finally sat back down to the bench this morning and started painting the body panel inserts. The next big thing that'll be handled this weekend will be color on the body.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

What is the diagnosis on the rod knock?
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Dunno just yet but I should find out today when I tear it down Johnny.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”