1/48 Monogram C-47 Mini Whiskey 7 Commission build

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
keyda81
Advanced Member

Re: 1/48 Monogram C-47 Mini Whiskey 7 Commission build

Post by keyda81 »

mostrich wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:20 am Fantastic work! Like Stik wrote, the paint work really stands out. It's also built super clean.
Thanks! The paint is probably the most difficult part, just because it's acrylic craft paint, lol. I'm getting the hang of using it though, and it held up to masking over it without pulling anything off, so I guess it can be fairly durable. I still wouldn't trust it to be as durable as actual model paint, but it gets the job done when you can't find the right colors.

Thanks Lyle! Ain't that the truth. It's not the first time I've been asked to do commission work. I've been asked several times, and most people take no for an answer. Not this guy, lol. I just hope I haven't opened up a can of worms, and he bugs me for more. I'll just have to quote him before hand, and if wants to pay a grand for a D-Day version of Mini Whiskey 7 then I'll do it. I just never paid attention to how many hours I spent building stuff, so I had no idea how much to quote him. Now that I've timed a few of my builds I have an idea how long it will take. This one a little over 40hrs, B-25 I did was 50hrs, D-Day Mini W7 was 80hrs.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Awesome work!!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

I've done a couple of commission builds and no one has ever balked at the high price. I have them buy the kit and any aftermarket they want me to use.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Medicman71 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:59 am Awesome work!!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

I've done a couple of commission builds and no one has ever balked at the high price. I have them buy the kit and any aftermarket they want me to use.
If you don't mind me asking do you charge an hourly rate? Or just quote a ball park figure depending on the subject? My mistake was not quoting him a price to begin with. I'm a stay at home Mom, so income for things that hubby doesn't want to pay for would be nice. If I was going to do commission work it would only be a few a year, and I'd have to get used to the fact that I don't have control over the build, the person paying for it does. I've just always built for me, and I'm a fairly creative person, so when I have boundaries for the build I don't like it too much, lol.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Well I actually had to ask some other model buddies of mine and my wife (who's an artist) on what to charge. It really is hard to figure out what to charge when you're just starting. My wife said that it needs to be based on hours spent on the kit. The aircraft carrier I build, I charged $300 for because it took me a long time to do all the small parts.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, I finally got all caught up on this and I have to say that this is one stunning model! Yeah, that would definitely bring in a cool grand given what I see here. I've also done some commissions and never got a good rate either. Unfortunately, I'm like you, I don't time my builds.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

keyda81 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:11 amIf you don't mind me asking do you charge an hourly rate? (...)
Maybe this video helps. I've seen it a few years ago and found it quite insightful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HndAEFXqVnM
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Duke Maddog wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:18 am Wow, I finally got all caught up on this and I have to say that this is one stunning model! Yeah, that would definitely bring in a cool grand given what I see here. I've also done some commissions and never got a good rate either. Unfortunately, I'm like you, I don't time my builds.
Thanks! I have started to keep track of my time on them now. It really is difficult to figure out how much to charge. I feel like a normal hourly rate even at minimum wage is just high. It will be 14.20 an hour here by the end of the year. That is almost 600 bucks based on 40hrs which is what I spent on building this kit. I think ten bucks an hour is more reasonable. Even then it would of been 400, plus the cost of the kit. Every kit is going to be different too. I put 50 hours in Revell's B-25, with no scratch building, or PE, just a lot of putty, sand, prime, repeat. I'm just going to hope he doesn't ask me to do anything else, lol.

Mostrich, Thanks for the link!
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Ive got a friend who charges 2 different rates for his private jobs.
He owns a tattoo studio, charges $210 an hour standard through the studio.
Privately his "mates rates" are $160 an hour, his "i dont want to do this" rate is $300 an hour.
If this is a side hustle for you, youre not relying on it for an income, then charge your hourly rates as you see fit. $20+ an hour for that standard of work would be more than acceptable.
If people want your work they will pay you for it.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

One of these days, Keyda....I’m gonna get my chance to come to Geneseo Air Museum. Maybe next summer....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

That is true. Not to toot my own horn, but I'd more than likely build a Mini Whiskey 7 more detailed than anyone else, I know her details inside and out. In fact a couple of Saturday's ago I noticed that the length of exposed oleo on her landing gear was slightly different from one to other. Thought I might be losing it, so I measured. 1/4 of inch difference. :shocked: Surprised I picked it out.

BlackSheep, the airshow will likely be the 2nd weekend in June next year. That is what I'm hearing from our airshow planner. Nothing set in stone yet though. I'll know for sure once ICAS is over in December.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”