1/48 Monogram C-47 Mini Whiskey 7 Commission build

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Re: 1/48 Monogram C-47 Mini Whiskey 7 Commission build

Post by scorpiomikey »

Daks all have their quirks.
Dad used to tell me about NZ3551. The left engine would always drip oil. Didnt matter what they did, engine swap, new lines, new connectors. Always dripped. Still does even now after sitting in a museum for longer than i know lol.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

They absolutely do. #2 on Whiskey is always harder to start, leaks more oil externally than #1, but #1 blows more oil out of the exhaust, and it's the newer engine. We call it "situation normal" when it comes to her quirks. It's not quite working the way it should, but that is how it's always been with her.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

It’s when the engines stop leaking oil that you worry… that means the engine has run out of oil… :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

That is exactly what we tell people when they ask about all the oil that is coating literally everything in its path, lol.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

keyda81 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:48 am They absolutely do. #2 on Whiskey is always harder to start, leaks more oil externally than #1, but #1 blows more oil out of the exhaust, and it's the newer engine. We call it "situation normal" when it comes to her quirks. It's not quite working the way it should, but that is how it's always been with her.
I think that's completely normal. A lot of aircraft are essentially hand made at the end of the day, and no two are completely the same. Back in my A&P days I used to maintain a,few trainer fleets, they all had their individual quirks.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

An utterly superb build, if you ask me that guy got a bargin :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: The fit and finish look fantastic.

One of the advantages I have of being a pretty average modeller, is nobody ever asks me to do commission work :grin:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Thanks Stuart! It honestly took me building the first Mini Whiskey 7 to realize what I was capable of if I just learned to take my time. I had this horrible habit of rushing through stuff, just excited to see the end product. Looked fine on the shelf for a while until my skills slowly started to improve. Patience is the hardest thing for me to learn. Those extra steps, like filling injector pin marks, or doing 6 rounds of putty, sand, prime, repeat really make a difference in the finished product.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stuart wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:20 pm An utterly superb build, if you ask me that guy got a bargin :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: The fit and finish look fantastic.

One of the advantages I have of being a pretty average modeller, is nobody ever asks me to do commission work :grin:
Hey, I'm a pretty average modeler too and I've done five commissions! Watch out man... you'll get approached one day, mark my words!

It is certainly a bargain. I agree with Stuart, that could easily bring in more.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

My own fault for not discussing a price before hand. If I ever do decide to take on another commission build(unlikely) I will be sure a price is discussed and agreed upon before I even start on it. Having timed the last few builds I've done, I know on average how long it would take me, or I could at least guess at a minimum amount of time.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”