Replacing Model Master paint......need advice

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Replacing Model Master paint......need advice

Post by Duke Maddog »

keyda81 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:20 am I'm still struggling with this. I picked up a couple Revell enamel paints, and holy heck those tinlets are tiny, and very easy to fumble. I can see myself somersaulting one through the air very easily. I also picked up a few Mr. Color to try.

There is no way I'm paying 8 bucks for a bottle of paint, unless it's a metal one like AK, or Alclad. Model Master was what $4 a jar? I don't remember.

I decided to go through my paint inventory to see what I was running low on. Then went on scale hobbyist to browse through the paint lines they offer. I usually use Hobbylinc, but they don't offer all that many paint lines. So I was looking for specific ones, and neither one of the paint lines I was looking at offered all the colors I needed, or I couldn't figure out the comparable color. :headbang: So I'm no further along than I was when I posted this. Having the FS number is a plus, but not needed. But avoiding the hassle of having to convert colors to figure out which yellow they offer is closest to insignia yellow for example would be nice. All I've done at this point is given myself a headache. Why do companies always discontinue stuff I like?! :nono:

I agree! Why is all the best stuff that I like always discontinued?

I recently went to Brookhurst Hobbies when they had a special after-closing sale just for SoCal AMPS members. The color I need the most is the Model Master Dark Green FS34079. I did try the MCW paint and was not satisfied with the way it painted. I believe I have those results posted in my Maddog Manufacturing thread. At Brookhurst I picked up a bottle of Mission Models dark green and two tins of the Revell colors with a bottle of their thinner to try out. By the way, the only reason I was able to get these is because one SoCal AMPS member and good friend sent me a message saying: if you come to Brookhurst, I will finance anything you want to buy. I got nine models; eight for myself, the other is a commission. I also got two each of the Tamiya Extra Thin and Extra Extra Thin glues along with the paints I'm hoping to find my missing camera so I can show what I got, as well as record the results of my experiments with these paints.

By the way, I do have a stash of Model Master enamels I got through Distressed Kit Auctions and from Model widows, as well as other members who have switched to something else. I may have some Insignia Red, but I'm not sure. I do know I have a few bottles of the Insignia Yellow. PM me and I'll see what I can find and find out how to get them sent to you.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

If you’re looking for insignia yellow replacement for Model Master Keyda, Testors 1/4 oz square bottle flat yellow is a perfect match. Their flat red is also a match for insignia red.

Mark, sounds like you made out quite well at Brookhurst! Good for you my friend!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Duke Maddog wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:23 pm
keyda81 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:20 am I'm still struggling with this. I picked up a couple Revell enamel paints, and holy heck those tinlets are tiny, and very easy to fumble. I can see myself somersaulting one through the air very easily. I also picked up a few Mr. Color to try.

There is no way I'm paying 8 bucks for a bottle of paint, unless it's a metal one like AK, or Alclad. Model Master was what $4 a jar? I don't remember.

I decided to go through my paint inventory to see what I was running low on. Then went on scale hobbyist to browse through the paint lines they offer. I usually use Hobbylinc, but they don't offer all that many paint lines. So I was looking for specific ones, and neither one of the paint lines I was looking at offered all the colors I needed, or I couldn't figure out the comparable color. :headbang: So I'm no further along than I was when I posted this. Having the FS number is a plus, but not needed. But avoiding the hassle of having to convert colors to figure out which yellow they offer is closest to insignia yellow for example would be nice. All I've done at this point is given myself a headache. Why do companies always discontinue stuff I like?! :nono:

I agree! Why is all the best stuff that I like always discontinued?

I recently went to Brookhurst Hobbies when they had a special after-closing sale just for SoCal AMPS members. The color I need the most is the Model Master Dark Green FS34079. I did try the MCW paint and was not satisfied with the way it painted. I believe I have those results posted in my Maddog Manufacturing thread. At Brookhurst I picked up a bottle of Mission Models dark green and two tins of the Revell colors with a bottle of their thinner to try out. By the way, the only reason I was able to get these is because one SoCal AMPS member and good friend sent me a message saying: if you come to Brookhurst, I will finance anything you want to buy. I got nine models; eight for myself, the other is a commission. I also got two each of the Tamiya Extra Thin and Extra Extra Thin glues along with the paints I'm hoping to find my missing camera so I can show what I got, as well as record the results of my experiments with these paints.

By the way, I do have a stash of Model Master enamels I got through Distressed Kit Auctions and from Model widows, as well as other members who have switched to something else. I may have some Insignia Red, but I'm not sure. I do know I have a few bottles of the Insignia Yellow. PM me and I'll see what I can find and find out how to get them sent to you.
That is extremely thoughtful of you, and I appreciate the offer, really I do, but I'm just denying the inevitable at this point, lol. I really need to just accept the fact I need to switch paint brands.

I've been taking a closer look at AK interactive real colors line which is a lacquer based acrylic. So far the reviews I've looked at are pretty good. They have FS numbers on several of the paints, come in containers like Tamiya paints, dry pretty quickly, brush, and airbrush nicely, and seem pretty durable with or without primer. So I think I'm going to buy a few of those, and test them out. I'll have to see how they behave with the primer and clear coats I use. The only drawback I see so far is the price of the thinner is a bit on the expensive side. But a couple guys used the Tamiya lacquer thinner, and it worked just fine. So I will probably just buy that.
Stikpusher wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:07 pm If you’re looking for insignia yellow replacement for Model Master Keyda, Testors 1/4 oz square bottle flat yellow is a perfect match. Their flat red is also a match for insignia red.

Mark, sounds like you made out quite well at Brookhurst! Good for you my friend!
I was wondering about that. My local Hobby Lobby still carries the little Testors bottles. I'll have to go there and see if they have them. Now just to find a replacement for insignia blue. Which is probably the one out of the three I use the most of. I use the yellow to paint prop tips on WW2 stuff, and the blue for the National Insignia. Now that I think of it though, Tamiya's blue X-7 was it? I don't remember looked pretty similar. Maybe I'll just use that.

Just submitted an order with Scalehobbyist. So we shall see. I usually use Hobbylinc, but they were a bit more in price, and they are very slow to ship. Plus as it seems I'm going to need multiple sources for paint/supplies/and kits. There isn't a local shop near me anymore. Which really sucks. I liked going in there and being able to look at stuff in person.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I use Walmart brand lacquer thinner.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

I ordered the Tamiya stuff. It's less than half the price of the AK thinner. When I run out of the Tamiya stuff I'll give the walmart stuff a try.
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Post by TheMongoose »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:07 am I use Walmart brand lacquer thinner.
Similar for me, i use the green can of big box store lacquer thinner from home depot. Works great with every enamel brand I’ve had.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

The AK real colors are beautiful. A little learning curve but they spray like a dream and dry in an hour
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

Yes AK Real are very good,and as was mentioned they spray and adhere nicely with regular lacquer thinner,and their color range is more extensive then Tamiya.
Mission Models are more finicky with spraying,must use their thinner and polymer, but they seem to have a lot of pigment and they are great for handpainting.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Keyda... next time I head out to Clinton Hobbytown, I'll see if there are any Insignia Red in the clearance box and send it to you.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

tempestjohnny wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:51 am The AK real colors are beautiful. A little learning curve but they spray like a dream and dry in an hour
Quick dry time is a plus. I'm VERY impatient when it comes to letting paint dry, lol. I'll just have to figure out what thinning ratio the paint likes. Model Master was 2:1, paint to thinner. That is what worked for me anyway.
Tojo72 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:04 am Yes AK Real are very good,and as was mentioned they spray and adhere nicely with regular lacquer thinner,and their color range is more extensive then Tamiya.
Mission Models are more finicky with spraying,must use their thinner and polymer, but they seem to have a lot of pigment and they are great for handpainting.
I wish their color range was extensive as MM, but I'll just have to have a mix of different brands. I think its the women in me that is picky, and likes most things to match. :giggles:
BlackSheep214 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:10 am Keyda... next time I head out to Clinton Hobbytown, I'll see if there are any Insignia Red in the clearance box and send it to you.
Appreciate it! I still haven't made it to the local Hobby Lobby to see if they have the Testors stuff. Eventually. I prefer to stay away from there when the holidays get close, place is always mobbed! I'm not a fan of big crowds in stores. Mainly because people are just rude.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”