Hobbycraft 1/48 P-26A

Highlighting the aircraft during the interwar period between WW 1 and WW 2. Military and civillian. There are some great and colorful subjects and a number of air racers. Tuild one, Build them all!

Runs from July 1, 2022 until December 31, 2022

Carlos Cisneros (Stikpusher) and/or John Eaton (jeaton01) are moderators of this one.
Stikpusher

Hobbycraft 1/48 P-26A

Post by Stikpusher »

Another day, another project begins. I’m starting this one in slight trail of my F2A Buffalo, since it is a kindred Yellow Wings aircraft type. The Boeing P-26A, the US Army Air Corps’ first monoplane fighter. This is the Hobbycraft 1/48 kit

I’ll be building it in the markings of the 34th Pursuit Squadron, 17th Pursuit Group, out of March Field, California, circa 1934/35

As usual, construction starts in the cockpit. I added a seat belt using some Toms Modelworks PE buckles and dental floss as the webbing material

I also added the sidewalls parts of a pamphlet bag on one side and the throttle quadrant on the opposite side

Next up will be painting, which will be in aluminum color, as the interiors were done in aluminum lacquer.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Hobbycraft 1/48 P-26A

Post by keavdog »

Fun. They sure had some colorful schemes on the Peashooters.
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That’s for sure! Blue or OD fuselage and Yellow wings, plus squadron markings. Some very attractive schemes.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Oh nice! A Peashooter!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

:popcorn:
Greg
Advanced Member
Location: Indiana - We're not just about corn fields (just mostly)

Post by Greg »

Stikpusher wrote:I added a seat belt using some Toms Modelworks PE buckles and dental floss as the webbing material
I don't understand what you did with the dental floss and am curious. Could you elaborate?
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The PE buckles are separate items, without the webbing portion of the belt. I used tape type dental floss, not the round stuff, and fed it thru the loop section of the buckle. I then doubled the floss back on itself and cut it to an appropriate length. Very sharp scissors or a knife is needed to cut the floss. Afterwards, I attached the belts onto the seat pan using this CA glue.

I could have used thin strips of paper or foil in place of the floss, but those I would have to cut to width first. Since the floss was already an appropriate width, I tried threading it thru the buckles in practice, and saw that it fit, then proceeded from there.

In all honesty I am not a fan of doing a harness in this manner, but I was out of the wide pre war lap belts in my accessories bin, and these buckles were the next best option without buying something and waiting a week or so for a delivery.

FLSM
Greg
Advanced Member
Location: Indiana - We're not just about corn fields (just mostly)

Post by Greg »

I get it now, thanks.

That's a clever idea, that's for sure.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Yes, I agree with Greg, that is a great idea Carlos, and one I'll be using in the future! :bow:
I'm glad to see this Peashooter started as I have that same kit; it will be fun watching you build this! I've had mine out of its box several times but haven't had the courage to begin it yet. :grin:
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

That dental floss worked perfect for the lap belts Carlos!! Good thinkin’ !!

Return to “Yellow Wings and Golden Era GB”