DigiHell & the F/A-18F Super Hornet - 3rd Wire & On The Deck

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

DigiHell & the F/A-18F Super Hornet - 3rd Wire & On The Deck

Post by TheMongoose »

Hey guys glad to be here! My 1st post on SPAM and I’m always looking for input. I’m a black and white tell me what you think guy so feel free to post up your opinions.
My buddy and I are building the same A/C, the Trumpeter 1/32 Hornet. I’m going for a show winner. If you see something that may need improved toss it out there. I really want this to be good. My weak points in the past have been on assembly based on comps I’ve entered. Seems that’s where i fall short. Now most of that is done at this point but suffice it to say I’ve spent gobs of time cleaning up stupid mold marks and getting the fuselage to fit cleanly. Now it’s all about the paint. Let’s take a look at progress to date
Look just at the front of the vertical tail slot, see that damn mold line. Jeez Trumpeter! There was one at the back as well.

Crazy out of proportion without the slats and flaps isn’t it!

This was tough but at least the line over the top was a good design choice Trumpeter.

Even on the bottom I’m gonna clean it up.

Wait for it…say it with a British accent

And now i return you to our regularly scheduled program. You’re all caught up :bye:
Last edited by TheMongoose on Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stikpusher

Re: Digi HELL - F/A-18F Hornet

Post by Stikpusher »

You’re a madman! :shocked: So far everything looks like it’s heading in the right direction for contest quality.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

That looks awesome Chris. Must have been hours of cutting and masking
Thanks,
John
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Excellent work so far, like Stik said I can't see any issues.

What a camo though - Makes Swedish Splinter camo look easy!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Stuart wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:03 amWhat a camo though - Makes Swedish Splinter camo look easy!
Now you said something!
That's a kit from Trumpy's darker times (2010). Hope it's not a too nasty bitch to build. Is there any AM involved?
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

All your prep work paid off. That looks awesome
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Post by TheMongoose »

mostrich wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:15 am
Stuart wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:03 amWhat a camo though - Makes Swedish Splinter camo look easy!
Now you said something!
That's a kit from Trumpy's darker times (2010). Hope it's not a too nasty bitch to build. Is there any AM involved?
Nope, no AM. Out of the box with some adders for wiring the radar in the nose so far. I plan to add some wire and lines in the gear bays before I put the gear in there. The kit comes with a couple pieces of PE but they really aren’t major items for sure. To a degree glad I didn’t add any AM as the camo is taking way longer than i thought so staying focussed on it has to be the play right now :cool:
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Post by TheMongoose »

keavdog wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:07 pm That looks awesome Chris. Must have been hours of cutting and masking
I was heard to say at the beginning “how hard can it be to tape up a bunch of squares and rectangles”. HA! Nieve sucker i am :lashed: I’ve got almost 30 hours into drawing squares and rectangles so far. At least i learned along the way. Initially i did the light ghost grey masks, cut them out and found it took an entire football game sunday afternoon to apply them to both wings. Jeez that was monotonous. Now i learned how to draw in layers in the Silhouette software. So i do an outline, then a layer for each color, light and dark ghost grey, blue, and black. Cut those out and then i can overlay each color much quicker.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

TheMongoose wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:03 am I was heard to say at the beginning “how hard can it be to tape up a bunch of squares and rectangles”.
Yeah, I have a few Ukrainian builds planned, so their love of digital camo schemes does not bode well. The aircraft at least have masking sets out there, but the AFVs… :headslap:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Great to see another large scale build here! Fantastic work with the mask cutting... making good use of the Silhouette cutter!
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”