DigiHell & the F/A-18F Super Hornet - 3rd Wire & On The Deck

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Re: Digi HELL - F/A-18F Hornet

Post by tempestjohnny »

This is so cool
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Move over splinter camo, you've been replaced - that is insane! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yeah, that makes the Saab Viggen splinter camo look tame by comparison.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I feel for the poor sods who have to actually paint these aircraft - it must be a nightmare. :whiteflag:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Post by TheMongoose »

Glad you guys stopped by :mrgreen: lots of fun here for sure. I have got to see if google knows how long it took to paint the real thing.
And just when I’m getting excited about finishing something i realize the 10l year lettering still has to be custom done. Dang!
So this week I’m working on touch ups. I must have missed wiping the rear fuselage down when i did the bottom. Having a terrible time with paint lifting. Has to be finger oils :bag:

The end result is great tho. I’m lov’n these flaps!
I figured while i had everything set up and was waiting for the touch ups to dry i might as well finish up some parts in the queue with a gloss coat.
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Post by TheMongoose »

Well, it’s definitely not a problem with cleaning off finger oils. I sanded down to bare plastic, prepped and cleaned the surface, rolled up a piece of blue tape and tapped it across the surface with paint still on it to make sure i got it all, and was rewarded with this…

time to watch some football and revisit later in the week 
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

What sort of paint are you using? Acrylic? Enamel? Lacquer? Did you use primer before painting?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Post by TheMongoose »

Hey Stik! I’m using MCW acrylic lacquer. No primer. I was going for keeping the paint layers to a minimum since i had 4 colors to do. This bottom area between twin tails and the exhaust and some areas on the side have peeling like a sunburn, just spotty like you see in the pics. What are your thoughts?
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

With lacquers I’m really thrown for a loop. They stick like glue to styrene due to their “hot” properties, so I honestly don’t know. If you had said acrylics, I’d think that it was lack of primer. I’ve never used MCW paints, so no helpful hints here. Could the paint have gotten some moisture during airbrushing?

FLSM
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Post by TheMongoose »

Thinking about it i think I’ll follow a line of thinking you started stik. I’m going to clean it all again, with 91 ISO, and lay down a white lacquer primer to start with. Let that dry a day. Then maybe go as far as using sticky notes to mask 1 area at time. I do not want to do this 3x!

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”