Another airshow crash

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
keavdog
Elite Member

Another airshow crash

Post by keavdog »

Sounds bad.

"A Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress and a Bell P-63 Kingcobra collided and crashed at the Wings Over Dallas Airshow at Dallas Executive Airport in Texas around 1:20 p.m. local time Saturday," the Federal Aviation Administration said. "At this time, it is unknown how many people were on both aircraft."
Thanks,
John
LyleW
Admin

Re: Another airshow crash

Post by LyleW »

Watched a bad video of it could not seevwhat happened other than they came together. Sad losses all around.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Looks like the P-63 cut the B-17 in half :sad:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

It was Texas Raiders. Looking at this video, it seems the 63 way overshot his approach on the 17. Don’t imagine anyone will know what happened to cause the accident. Cut her right in half just behind her wings.

https://theaviationist.com/2022/11/13/b ... collision/
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Tragic as it is but it looks to be pilot error (or reckless flying) on the P-63 Kingcobra. Sad to see both aircrafts and personnel involved end in a tragic way.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

It's something that strikes the entire war bird community hard. One of volunteers was there when it happened, and a few others knew the crew of Texas Raiders. We found out in the hangar, in the middle of doing Whiskey 7's compression checks for her annual inspection. I heard there were volunteers on board. I'm hoping that is not the case. If it was, and this was during an airshow performance they are going to be in a lot of heat from the FAA. It's supposed to be essential crew only. Just a devastating accident. My condolences go out to the crew, and their families. :sad:
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

I was looking over the news cause I couldn't sleep and I run across this story, and saw the vid. It's a punch in the gut to watch, tragic.

It appears the 63 did not realize just how close he was, the B-17 being under his belly, out of direct view, as he was making his approach.

Was this the last flying B-17? I thought there was only one operational at the time.
Give Blood, Play Rugby, cause everyone knows football is for wimps!

keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Far as I can gather there are under 10 airworthy. Whether or not they are actually being flown. Movie Memphis Belle was airworthy, but is currently sitting in Palm Springs CA with no props. Ye old pub,(formerly Madras Maiden, formerly Chuckie) Sentimental Journey, Fuddy Duddy, Thunderbird,(I don't think they are currently flying this one) Aluminum Overcast, and Yankee Lady. I swear I read about one being down for service in Florida, and being damaged by a hurricane though, I just can't recall which one. Just looked it up, it was Aluminum Overcast. So that one isn't airworthy. So maybe 5 airworthy ones left. I don't think Fuddy Duddy ever flies either.
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

An interesting informative video on the accident.

The KingCobra was one of only 2 F models ever built, still flying in its experimental aircraft colours.
Condolences to all involved. Just heartbreaking to see.

https://youtu.be/Sceufd1Xutc

(just a quick note, the youtube embedding feature doesnt seem to be working?)
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Those are horrible news!
scorpiomikey wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:25 pm(just a quick note, the youtube embedding feature doesnt seem to be working?)
We're on it. It may be that the new board software doesn't support that code anymore or the code has changed.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.

Return to “Free Discussion”