1/48 Monogram High Tech Kingfisher

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: 1/48 Monogram High Tech Kingfisher

Post by BlackSheep214 »

One of PE brace wires snapped as I was gluing the fuselage halves together last night. i knew it was bound to happen. So off they all went. Thankfully, I had CA debonder on hand.

Looking at the sprue tree, there are 4 braces from the original molds and all I had to do is stretch some wires using scrap sprue to desired thickness enough to make it look rigid, not flimsy and too thin. That’s has been done and am happy with the thickness to simulate rigid wire bracing.

Once I cut them to size, they will be glued to the braces at some point over the weekend.

Once that is done, I’ll have to redrill the holes for them to fit into the holes on the fuselage on both sides. I’ll make sure to leave enough length to fish it thru the holes as I reattach the brace to the floats.

I am going to skip on using PE steps since I have the original ones on the tree. The grasp handles, will be the only last piece of PE I will use.

On a sort of unrelated note, this kit came with PE instrument panel. As flimsy as it is, I decided to glue it to a plastic sheet and cut it out and glue it to the cockpit. If I had followed the instruction guide, I know I’ll bend the heck out of the panel enough to render it useless.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I will admit I completely forgot to install the pitot on the wings. Maybe it's a blessing I overlooked it since it made zero sense to install it so early. The assembled 3 part wing assembly has to be slipped into one fuselage half before gluing the other fuselage half. Made no sense.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I haven't seen this kit yet but I may have to snag one. I wonder what AM goodies are available for this one?

Progress is looking good. Hate to hear about the brace but sounds like you've got it covered.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Alright......dammit!! I just couldn't help myself. :headslap:

I snagged one and at a good price at that. And THEN......I spied something totally new for this kit.

A complete update set for this kit from Flightline Engineering.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That detail set looks sweet! How much did it cost you?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

WHAT??!?!?!??! Take my money.
Thanks,
John
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

With shipping and everything it all came out to just a tad over $50. This has been an aircraft that I've been wanting to build for a VERY long time but never cared for the Monogram kit as it was. Now I'll be able to and have a little PE to boot. :wink:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I hear ya on the old Monogram kit. I’m hoping maybe Eduard or someone comes out with a better Kingfisher kit. But damn, Joe - $50 for all that is a great score.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Here are the new float braces...

These will will face the inside towards the main float

These will be facing on the outside...

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Nicely done.

Well Tom.....you've definitely influenced me to finally build the aircraft I've always wanted to do in the scale that I wanted to build it in. Such a cool aircraft. As a kid I had dang near every Monogram WWII aircraft model there was except for the Me-110 and this one here. I've been wanting to build one of these for a while now but couldn't pull the trigger because of the simplicity of the kit. Looks like I've got my opportunity coming up. Let's just hope that my aircraft building skills have rusted too much. :wink:

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”