Heller 1/48 Etendard IV M

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stikpusher

Heller 1/48 Etendard IV M

Post by Stikpusher »

So, against my better judgement, I’m gonna try to get one more new start build completed before the end of the year, and I want it to be a “fast mover” as well as something off the beaten path. I chose this sea bird.

This is Heller’s 1/48 kit of the Etendard IV M, a fairly simple kit.

I’ll be using the kit decals to make one of these Etendard IV M’s from the mid ‘80s

The kit itself is typical Heller brittle plastic, and fairly straightforward so far. It has mostly recessed panel lines and good exterior detail, but is rather spartan on the interior details. Unusually, aside from assembling the ejection seat, everything else in the first 10 steps is assembling ordnance, landing gear, and some other external nose areas.

I won’t be using the Douglas “Buddy Refueling Store”, but I will have it carrying the drop tanks and rocket pods. I need to add a harness to the seat, as I can’t stand a bare seat. But I’m not diving too deep into this project.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Re: Heller 1/48 Etendard IV M

Post by LyleW »

Well, that is different! Beautiful jet.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

This is gonna be cool to watch Carlos. Those are beautiful aircraft, and were quite capable too in their day! :grin:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Lyle and Gary, thanks. The Etendard is a sharp looking aircraft, and somewhat equivalent to its contemporary, the early Skyhawks. I’m hoping that I don’t hit too hard or many speed bumps on this one. Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞🏼.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Cool you have a pic of the boxart bird. Great color.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Coooooool Late Cold War Eurojet! Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this one Carlos, if it builds up as nicely as the Heller Mirage 2000 I built a few year back it should be good.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

I love that they promote the fact that the kit features engravings. They even use the German word "Tiefdruck", which is completely out of fashion. :giggles:
I like the lines of that plane. No French bird in my collection yet... :hmm:
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very cool! Can't wait to see the build!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

keavdog wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:15 pm Cool you have a pic of the boxart bird. Great color.
Yeah the French Navy carrier aircraft have some very attractive schemes. And you can’t beat great box art :hmm:
Stuart wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:07 pm Coooooool Late Cold War Eurojet! Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this one Carlos, if it builds up as nicely as the Heller Mirage 2000 I built a few year back it should be good.
So far no rough patches on fit or assembly, although you do have to pay attention to alignment. I can see that it’s gonna be tricky around the intakes so I’m paying attention closely. The service history looks interesting for the type, a late 50’s design flying off carriers for the 60’s & 70’s, and not being replaced in the ship based attack role until the 80’s! Their photo recon version, the IV P, stayed in service until the end of the century, well after the Cold War had ended!
mostrich wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:05 am I love that they promote the fact that the kit features engravings. They even use the German word "Tiefdruck", which is completely out of fashion. :giggles:
I like the lines of that plane. No French bird in my collection yet... :hmm:
I never learned “Tiefdruck” in German class… :hmm: I’m really surprised about how minimal the nose area is on this design. But I do see some family resemblance to the delta winged cousin Mirage in the fuselage design. And yes, you should add some French aircraft to your collection. I have plenty of Dassault subjects to be built, and have already built three myself. Such wide serving types! :wink:
Medicman71 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:41 am Very cool! Can't wait to see the build!
Me too! I’ve just about finished all the sub assemblies that I can, and am just waiting on a PE harness set to arrive so that I can correct the seat’s major shortcoming.

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Interesting kit! I really like the box art!
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”