Trumpeter P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Re: Trumpeter P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Post by tempestjohnny »

Stikpusher wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:11 am Fantastic… marvelous… beautiful… exquisite… I’m simply running out of superlative terms to describe your results here John. The appearance that you have created here has to be your best work yet.
:P1:
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks so much for the positive comments guys! Much appreciated! I'm not sure this is my best work but I'm really happy with some of the things I did here and not so happy with others. It's like that with every build. As long as I'm learning and improving, I'm happy just like the rest of ya'll I'm sure.

Checking the landing gear alignment. Like I said, it's plug and chug sort of deal and it looks ok to me but if you measure things in angles, it may not be 100% accurate.

Although I've not yet glued the landing gear legs into place, the inner landing gear doors are fitted at this time.

The small slot on the fuselage spine accommodates the antenna mast, which will be one of the last things I glue into place.

I've also fabricated a bead sight from brass tubing and will be glued later on as well.

The interior of the flap openings will be weathered a bit, starting with some chipping using a sponge.

The brass gun blast tubes are pushed into place. They are a tight friction fit and don't need any glue to keep them in place.

The masks from the sliding canopy are removed.

I have the option of placing the canopy in the open or closed position.

I went ahead and glued the landing gear legs into place.

Once the glue is dry, I'll mount the wheels and she'll be on her feet.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I vote closed. Your pit is awesome, but I think the closed canopy completes the lines. Besides - your canopy is so crystal clear you can see everything anyhow.
Thanks,
John
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Amazingly Impressive work! Great Markings Choice!
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys!
keavdog wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:13 pm I vote closed. Your pit is awesome, but I think the closed canopy completes the lines. Besides - your canopy is so crystal clear you can see everything anyhow.
What I actually meant was that the canopy is not going to be glued into place. I can change it from open to closed! Best of both worlds!

The wheels have been glued into place. I used 2-part epoxy to give me some time to orient the flattened tires to a flat surface. And the last bits have been added including the spine antenna, tail light, pitot tube, mirror on top of the windscreen, bead sight. So Eileen is finished! I'll try and get some glamour shots of the completed Eileen soon. But here's a sneak look at her...

John aka JKim
-----------<><
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

:wow: :wow: :wow:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

:P1:
tempestjohnny wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:18 am :wow: :wow: :wow:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Post by Brandons_Iron »

What I actually meant was that the canopy is not going to be glued into place. I can change it from open to closed! Best of both worlds!

This is exactly how I pose my aircraft. Closed to keep out dust and open when I want to show it off. Amazing work. :shoutout:
BrandonK

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I woke up early to set up the finished build shots but it is a drizzly day so I'll have to pick another time. Here are some more pics of Eileen to show some of the posing options. As you recall, the engine is attached via magnets so I can pose with the engine cowling off if desired.

No glue on the sliding canopy so it can be popped off and posed in the open position. Just noticed that one of the blast tubes has worked itself loose!

A view from the undersides. I'm choosing to leave the bomb racks detachable from the wings and also the bombs detachable from the racks.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stunning work.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”