Trumpeter P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Floki
Elite Member

Re: Trumpeter P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Post by Floki »

I wonder if fiberoptoc line would be easier to work with. I used a heck of a lot to light up the cockpit panels on my Falcon build. It's clear and bends easy, but it doesn't like superglue. Have to use mod podge or PVA
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

John, simply exquisite work!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

jkim wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:36 pm
BlackSheep214 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:25 pm Very nice. I’ve been on the fence whether or not to invest in a cricut machine myself for about a year now. If I do decide to invest in one, I wouldn’t know how to use it to make my own masks - let alone what material I need to get to make them. This all new technology to me.
How to make the mask files is the big question. I'm not sure how others do it but since I am adept in AutoCAD, it's easy for me to create the DXF files that the Silhouette Portrait software uses to cut masks. I simply import scans of decals or photos or even model parts into AutoCAD, use the photos to trace the mask shapes and then send the files to the cutter.
I use Inkscape, It's a free vector graphics program and is more than enough to make files for cutters. It can export to many file types including dxf and svg.
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Post by TheMongoose »

Floki wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:25 pm I wonder if fiberoptoc line would be easier to work with. I used a heck of a lot to light up the cockpit panels on my Falcon build. It's clear and bends easy, but it doesn't like superglue. Have to use mod podge or PVA
Acrylic gel medium works great on fibre! I did 400’ of it in my carrier, all with gel medium.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I finally worked up enough will power to complete the wheel wells. Some wiring was added for hydraulic lines but not too much. Here is some lead wire on the gear door actuators. The actual linkage rods have been removed and will be replaced with brass tubing.

Here are the wheel wells after painting.

To complete the wiring within the wheel wells, I decided to glue on the wing tops first.

I tried to optimize the fit at the wing roots as much as possible.

With the wing tops in place, I can complete the wiring. There is a fuel drain line on the starboard side that I'm trying to replicate but I think it needs to be re-shaped.

Some more views of the painted wheel wells. I'll let this dry and perhaps add some more weathering before I glue the wing bottoms on.

The solid wheel covers have been glued onto the Barracuda resin wheels. The small gaps were filled with White Milliput.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

John, that is just beautiful work.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Verify impressive detailing work going on there. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! Inching along here with some more details.

The fuel drain line was re-worked. The previous one was a little too kinky.

You can see from the previous picture and this next one that I've dirtied up the wheel wells a bit with some pastels.

I also re-did the tail wheel strut as the bent paper clip looked a little too much like a bent paper clip. I flattened portions of the strut using a rotary tool. It's also shorter as the first version held the tail wheel a little too far from the fuselage. Yeah, it's pretty hard to tell the diff but hey, I'm happier with it.

Oh and I added the "tail wheel centering unit" just to fill up some of the space in the tail wheel well but alas, it is all but un-noticeable in there.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

And this is a commission build??!! I'd have a hard time letting this one go John. Very well detailed indeed!! Lookin' forward to more on this one!!!
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Post by Brandons_Iron »

This is some next level stuff indeed. :bow:
BrandonK

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”