101st AIRBORNE AT CARENTAN, JUNE 1944

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Re: 101st AIRBORNE AT CARENTAN, JUNE 1944

Post by SteveSki »

Oh, Bob,…What Were You Thinking?

It’s been a long run, but not longer than most. We’re done with the figures, finally, and Bob has rounded up the crew to wrap up this set of figures. This was my third run at the splinter pattern and it gets easier each time. Once the initial pattern is laid down the rest is just a matter of keeping the liner brush straight when making the splinter strokes. No, it’s not easy, but it’s just a matter of staying focused on each and every stroke.

Image Image Image

I’m satisfied with the results, so carry on we will,………… The shadows and highlights are a simple matter of blending in some dark oils in the creases and lighter tones of the initial coat base onto the high points. The helmet decals were printed to scale and touched up with oils for more clarification.

Let’s make some Whiskey bottles, Champagne, or even some vino bottles, shall we? Let’s make em. Here’s how;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvpIQCau3xY

This was a pretty slick way to get a few more extras into the scenario, so just a bit of practice and we’re good. Good thing my pretty little woman had some glue sticks in her inventory. After making the bottles I used Tamiya’s clear colors to make the bottle tones, simple enough. I ran a search for WWII French bottle labels and printed them up and glued them in place. The possibilities are numerous, but this scale worked for me this time since I’ve never seen 1/16th or 120mm wine bottle anywhere, just scratch built.

Time for dirt work and veggies, and then the base will be ready for figure placement. Now the show begins, cause if this ain’t right, it’s all in vain, and we didn’t come this far to jack it all up, did we? Ruck On, Bby!

More to follow soon. Cheers, Ski.
Give Blood, Play Rugby, cause everyone knows football is for wimps!

SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Collar correction;

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Excellent paint work on the surrendering Nazi!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Thanks, Stik!

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Just excellent work.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Really nice paint work there. The eyes definitely have it...
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

This is so cool.
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Thanks, Guys! Base work is moving along nicely and I'm taking my time, lots of veggies to consider.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ok, now I gotta ask… what made you go with the army splinter pattern on the poncho/shelter quarter, instead of an SS camo pattern on a SS soldier?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
SteveSki
Advanced Member

Post by SteveSki »

Hey Stik, good question. Actually, my understanding is the splinter pattern was worn mainly by the Luftwaffe, but in '44 the 17th SS Panzergrenadiers were a mishmash unit of many different nationalities. It was not uncommon to see the splinter pattern or the helmet markings. Period photos and write-ups mention the use of whatever was available in uniforms, etc., though many will argue it's not appropriate. Either way, it's done and I'm on to the next thing, the base, yehaaaaaaaaaa!

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”