‘57 Chevy Cameo

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

‘57 Chevy Cameo

Post by BlackSheep214 »

This is kit #3 my sister sent me this past summer from a flea market in PA.

I wanted to build this one as a custom muscle truck with a stance similar to the Foose Ford FD-100 kit. As you know, I botched up the paint job on the first one, throwing it into an Easy Off bath, not once but twice. The second batch really made the plastic brittle. It was time for me to ditch it and try again by purchasing another Foose Ford truck. Syrcon 34 is where I found the second Foose kit - cheaper than Hobby Lobby with the 40% coupon deal.

I have been working on this Cameo off and on since the beginning of November. I will be pirating a good number of parts from the Foose kit and incorporate them to the Cameo kit. So enough of the novella and move forward to the progress pics. First the kits...

The Cameo cab and bed assembled...

The bed took me 3 1/2 days to do. There are EIGHT parts to assemble the bed. Bed floor, inner panels, rear panel, outer panels, tailgate and tailgate panel.

As I’ve already mentioned, I wanted to create the same stance as the Foose kit using the Cameo’s frame. Below is the assembled Foose truck frame next to the Cameo truck frame

As you can see the differences on the braces - the Foose frame has longer side braces, the Cameo are short.

So, I decided to try and see if the Cameo cab and bed will fit on the completed frame from the first kit.

It looks like it’s gonna work just fine. This is exactly the stance I was looking for - exactly what the FD-100 stance will be.

I have struggled trying to use the Cameo’s interior. Trouble is, the Foose engine I had planned on using will not accommodate the engine as the cab sits on the Foose frame. The tranny is too large.

After thinking it over, experimenting different scenarios, I decided “What if I use the Foose truck interior?”
Since I’m looking to build it as a custom build per say, I took a chance to see if it will fit. Here’s the Foose truck interior in the Cameo cab...

Oh yeah.... that’ll work with a little bit of fitting.

Now that that’s out of the way, the engine and frame will be built the same as the Foose frame. The frame next to the assembled Foose kit frame. The engine will be built exactly the same but with slightly different colors - valve covers and air cleaner will be gloss blue with Roush decals.

Why the blue valve covers and air cleaner? I’m thinking of painting it a two tone scheme - Arctic Blue Metallic and Gold or Graphite Metallic - haven’t decided which to pair with the blue. The interior will depend on whether I go with the gold or graphite.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Re: ‘57 Chevy Cameo

Post by mustang1989 »

Now THIS....is gonna just "click". Can't wait to see the progress on it Tom!!
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Now this has the right look
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Nice, Tom!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thank you for the kind words.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I do like those old pick ups! :hmm: This will be good to watch.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Great stance! Following. What color is she going to be?
Thanks,
John
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

This is amazing already! Nice job figuring out a perfect fix! I love the stance as well.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Should be cool.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

keavdog wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:45 pm Great stance! Following. What color is she going to be?
It will be a 2 tone scheme.

Arctic Blue Metallic and Gold or.....

Arctic Blue Metallic and Graphite Grey Metallic

Haven’t decided yet.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”