ICM 1/48 C-45 Expiditor

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

ICM 1/48 C-45 Expiditor

Post by LyleW »

This is the first build in my "Planes of the Kentucky Air National Guard" project. Here is the plane I'm basing this on:

An interesting little kit. It is the first ICM kit I've done, I think. A lot of fiddly bits and (In my mind) over-engineering on stuff that will never be seen. Still interesting, though.

Nice use of the sprue to protect the antennae/pitot...but why not. I still removed them since the example I'm attempting did not have all of them.

This is the motor mount/landing gear mount parts count. Most of it will not be seen, but it is stil pretty neat, and quite fragile. Ask me how I know. Yes, I've lost and broken stuff and did buy another kit for parts.

Together

After installation

And, this is sort of where we are....

I contacted ICM about a couple of replacement parts. I hate having a partial kit that is otherwise a great kit....I think they are sending me an entire "D" sprue....look back at the pic of the sprue with all the parts.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: ICM 1/48 C-45 Expiditor

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nice! Saw a C45 Expeditor kit at Syrcon a couple years ago. Shoulda grabbed it but it was gone by the time I went back looking for it. It is a nice looking aeroplane.

What scheme are you looking to do it in? Camo? Red and white trainer? Bare metal?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Nice! Following - may add this kit to the stash.
Thanks,
John
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:19 am Nice! Saw a C45 Expeditor kit at Syrcon a couple years ago. Shoulda grabbed it but it was gone by the time I went back looking for it. It is a nice looking aeroplane.

What scheme are you looking to do it in? Camo? Red and white trainer? Bare metal?
The first assembly issue for me has popped up. Having a bit of trouble getting the fuselage to come together with the wing assy. Still tweaking the fit at the front and rear ...

Tom, this will be bare metal with the white upper fuselage.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

keavdog wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:20 am Nice! Following - may add this kit to the stash.
Thanks, John. I think I ca recommend it. Seems there are areas (interior, cockpit and wheel wells) that no one but you will n
Know are there, but a nice kit. This is a classic, right up there with the DC-3/C-47 in my opinion.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Nice! Looks like a cool kit.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Good to see you on the bench again lyle and what a great subject! Really nice progress thus far :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thank you guys! Neat aircraft.
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

I should add one of these to the stash. We have a C-45H at the museum. I have yet to fly in it. It hasn't been in the air since before I volunteered. It's not the main money maker like Whiskey 7, and it's been pushed down the list a few times to get it going again. We really just need to reinstall the props, and continue with it's annual. Maybe next year. Never built a kit by ICM either. Honestly this is the first time I'm hearing of tem. :oops: So I'll be following along!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, Keyda. She is a lovely aircraft. I know money is tight, but I hope they get her going! Min is taking two step forward and anywhere from one to three backwards.

Maybe if you got one built, it might be a reminder?

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”