Revell's 1/48 P-61 Black Widow

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
keyda81
Advanced Member

Revell's 1/48 P-61 Black Widow

Post by keyda81 »

I must have lost my mind. I know the reputation of this kit. Yet for some odd reason I am still compelled to mess with it. It's probably been in my stash longer than any other kit. So I think it's due time to pull it out and then continually question why I ever even had that horrible idea. :lol:

And if that wasn't bad enough I made it even worse for myself with the addition of PE and some resin parts. I was looking for aftermarket decals, but honestly I can't find any I like. I want to do the paint black, with half invasion stripes. Never done half stripes before. So I guess I'm going to go with kit decals and do "Husslin Hussy". I can't find too many pictures of said aircraft. But it seems according to the directions, while it was painted black it did not have the upper turret with the half invasion stripes. If anyone can confirm or deny that fact, please feel free to do so. I prefer at least some kind of accuracy, and we all know how inaccurate kit instructions can be.

So I'm in it for the long haul I guess. I figured, well it's December. Long way to go before the weather gets nice again. I've got plenty of time to work on this, and try to whip the kit into shape. At this point I feel like it's a right of passage with what I have heard about it. A true test of modeling skill and ability. We shall see if I'm up to the challenge, or this lands up in the trash can, and I buy GWH's kit.

What I'm working with.

The plan is to not skimp on this either. I'm going to take my time with it. The PE looks like it will add some nice detail to it. As long as I can handle what the kit throws at me it should come out looking nice. Crossing my fingers.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Re: Revell's 1/48 P-61 Black Widow

Post by Gary Brantley »

Good luck! Like you, I've had the Monogram boxing of this one in the stash for a very long time. I'm pretty sure I bought it in the late 1980s and used to take it out from time to time, look it over...and put it back (much as I did with the Monogram P-38 :wink: ). And that was mostly before the internet had spread the word on this model. I'm looking forward to seeing your results Keyda. I have a weakness for WWII "twins" and would love to have one o' these in the display. Build on! :grin:
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I had this kit in the stash at one time but I couldn't bring myself to build it, especially with the Hobby Boss and GWH kits out there. I have the Hobby Boss kit now. Are you going to rescribe it?
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I just did a quick bit of Googling, and it appears that there were two P-61s that were named Husslin Hussy. One flew in the PTO with the 6th NFS, and the other in the ETO with the 422 NFS. The kit comes with the markings for the PTO 6th NFS.

Note the B-29s in the background.

Here is the ETO 422nd Husslin Hussey, in OD over Neutral Gray with lower half invasion stripes.

Completely different nose art, and a slight change in spelling. But as you can see that there are two more Widows in the flight, Jukin Judy (lead ship) and Lovely Lady (farthest from camera). Perhaps you can find decals for one of those. Or possibly another 422nd NFS P-61 will be what you are looking for?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Girl, you have lost your everlovin' mind. But, I am excited to see this come to be. I'm sure you will do it justice!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Oy! My son got me this kit for Christmas last year. I will warn you... you're in for a gluten of pain. I hated tjis kit especially with one boom molded in cowling while the other isn't. I had thought about getting AM parts but decided against it. Itll cost me more than what my son paid for it. The figures are horrible. Definitely not like the original Monogram kit I did as a kid in the late 70s early 80s.

I had started on it but stopped because it was that bad.
As Mike already mentioned, I'm holding out for Great Wall or the Kitty Hawk kit.

Good luck on this one. Hopefully you won't smash it to the wall as I had almost done several times building this Revell kit.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I have this kit in the stash. Even comes with metal inserts for the nose to keep it from being a tail sitter.

Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I built the old white box Monogram kit as a kid. I have two of these in the stash now. Been parting them out for parts lately after hearing the nightmares
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Is this the same kit?

I built this one! Over forty years ago!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

jkim wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:59 am Is this the same kit?
Yup. The very same kit I did. The Revell mold is from that old Monogram kit.

No doubt the molds have seen better days when Revell re-issued this one. Lots of flash on the sprues.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”