The Turtle - Monogram 1/48 P-47D

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: The Turtle - Monogram 1/48 P-47D

Post by jkim »

Very nice one, Stuart! I think I built the Monogram kit back in the day. I think it was a Razorback though.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Looking forward to this build. A bit out of your normal comfort zone, but you will kill it!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

jkim wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:51 pm Very nice one, Stuart! I think I built the Monogram kit back in the day. I think it was a Razorback though.
Nice - I do like the Razorback. Thanks John.
LyleW wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:20 am Looking forward to this build. A bit out of your normal comfort zone, but you will kill it!
Thanks Lyle, yeah I do need to build in some larger scales now and then - it's a pretty simple kit though. I do wish Monogram kits were a bit easier to get hold of in the UK (I'm talking proper Monogram here - not so much Revell re-pops) but they tend to be a lot more expensive - I actually paid more for this than I would have a Tamiya P-47D.

Anyways, this is a boring thread so far so let's spice it up with a few photos, all be it, not very exciting ones.

Here's the kit - I'm sure you've all seen it. Not bad for a kit tooled in 1967. This boxing is from 1983 and whilst I've cleaned off a few small bits of flash, it's actually in pretty good order - not sure about the silver :quotes: authentic colour :quotes: though! :grin:

Here's where I am now - I've painted the engine and am working on the one piece cockpit. I've decided against my fully OOB idea and ordered a 3d printed instrument panel from Jadlam, as I can't live with the kit one. I did have a go at dry brushing the detail, but I just don't like it.

The pilot I'm going to paint up next while I'm waiting for the IP to arrive.

Lastly, considering how I bought this boxing specifically for the markings, the decals appear in good order - thank goodness!

Cheers all!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

When you look at that molded detail, remember this was molded in 1966, remember that this was cutting edge at the time. Most other companies had an empty cockpit with seat molded to the pilot, a decal IP, and blank wheel wells. Not to mention no actuating pistons for the landing gear. This one was a game changer in 1/48 kits.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I may have to dig the P-47 out of the Shelf of Someday...if I can find it. You guys are killing me. Also just bought another p-47 and a B-26.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:08 am I may have to dig the P-47 out of the Shelf of Someday...if I can find it. You guys are killing me. Also just bought another p-47 and a B-26.
Just call me Lyle 'Will Power' Willis! :tease:
Stikpusher wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:57 am When you look at that molded detail, remember this was molded in 1966, remember that this was cutting edge at the time. Most other companies had an empty cockpit with seat molded to the pilot, a decal IP, and blank wheel wells. Not to mention no actuating pistons for the landing gear. This one was a game changer in 1/48 kits.
I think it's a cracking kit for 1967 - it knocks what Airfix were producing at the time out of the park.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Stuart wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:09 pm So for my first build of 2023 I'm going to take a stab at Monograms classic P-47 kit - as I've never actually built a Thunderbolt. This is only the 2nd 1/48 Monogram kit I've ever built and I know how you guys hold these things dear, so I'll try to do it justice.

Here's the kit, I picked it up a couple of years ago - I just love this scheme.

This isn't going to be the quickest of builds, as I have to do my Tax Return this month, but I'm looking forward to getting started.

edit: I'm going to build it OOB but I was wondering about some AM gun barrels - I'll have to see what I can find.

Cheers!
Gun Barrels is all that kit really needs -- those plastic stubs have to go! Also my favorite boxing of the Monogram Jug. Have 4 or 5 in the stash.. Good luck with it. I know there is a super scale sheet with those markings as well...
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Nice start Stuart! Have fun with this one!

Maybe Carlos can start up the Monogram Mafia here so we can all become Monogram Made Men!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Mark, you’re not the first to suggest it. So I think we need to get La Famila started here officially soon.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yes! I'll start diggin' out some Monogram Models! :shoutout:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”