The Turtle - Monogram 1/48 P-47D

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: The Turtle - Monogram 1/48 P-47D

Post by Medicman71 »

Nice work Stuart!!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Progress being made - I've got the fuselage sanded and the wings on. I need to sort out the wing leading edges as there's a nasty step, and also do some filling on the roots, but it's coming along.

It's a pretty nice kit so far - I'm looking forward to getting it progressed.

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Some strip styrene can help ease the step.

And, it is looking quite the beast!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Looking good.

Sorry for the late advice, but there are lots of things you can do pre-assembly to make the wings fit better. Use a sanding block on the matting surfaces, remove ejector pin stacks(there is one on top the main wheel well as I recall that I always remove that can make the wing a bit thicker than it should be...
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Nice progress thus far Stuart! I'm following your journey as I'm considering building my Monogram P-47D as well. I have the "Hi-Tech" issue with the PE fret and decals for "Hairless Joe". Keep up the great work! :bow:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

If you have spare D-Day decals for fighter aircrafts, that's a good template to use.

Wings aren't bad to do but the fuselage? They always gave me fits masking them.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:46 am Some strip styrene can help ease the step.

Thanks Lyle - it's coming out with some gentle sanding thankfully but I'll keep that in mind.
cbaltrin wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:33 am Looking good.

Sorry for the late advice, but there are lots of things you can do pre-assembly to make the wings fit better. Use a sanding block on the matting surfaces, remove ejector pin stacks(there is one on top the main wheel well as I recall that I always remove that can make the wing a bit thicker than it should be...
Thanks! I did actually note those ejector pin marks and removed them - the ones on the gear bays are huge! Overall I thought the wings went together well enough - I'm not sure why I got a step but it's sanding off okay. I'm finding the silver finish of the plastic rather off putting at it keeps leaving black lines after sanding and it's hard to tell what's what - I'll get some primer on it.
Gary Brantley wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:59 am Nice progress thus far Stuart! I'm following your journey as I'm considering building my Monogram P-47D as well. I have the "Hi-Tech" issue with the PE fret and decals for "Hairless Joe". Keep up the great work! :bow:
Thanks Gary, I'll look forward to seeing your builds!
BlackSheep214 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:06 am If you have spare D-Day decals for fighter aircrafts, that's a good template to use.

Wings aren't bad to do but the fuselage? They always gave me fits masking them.
Alas I don't otherwise I would.

Lol! I Know what you mean, the ones I had to paint on my last P-51 where a nightmare!

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stuart wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:25 pm
LyleW wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:46 am Some strip styrene can help ease the step.

Thanks Lyle - it's coming out with some gentle sanding thankfully but I'll keep that in mind.
Gentle sanding?!? Gentle sanding?!? Grow a set, man! Get after it! Apply some harsh mechanical means.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:39 pm
Stuart wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:25 pm

Gentle sanding?!? Gentle sanding?!? Grow a set, man! Get after it! Apply some harsh mechanical means.
Lol! I would but I'm trying not to square off the leading edges and rip off the guns! :grin:

cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Stuart wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:25 pm Thanks! I did actually note those ejector pin marks and removed them - the ones on the gear bays are huge! Overall I thought the wings went together well enough - I'm not sure why I got a step but it's sanding off okay. I'm finding the silver finish of the plastic rather off putting at it keeps leaving black lines after sanding and it's hard to tell what's what - I'll get some primer on it.
Surely you have a silver sharpie Sir? Best tip I ever read in That Magazine --use a silver sharpie to check your sanding/seam work. Oh yea, the Sludge Wash tip was not that bad either...
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”