The Crew

Fugitaboudit!
LyleW
Admin

Re: The Crew

Post by LyleW »

The Phantom Musang is coming along quite nicely, I think.

Couldn't resist. I did buy this Junkyard piece of yee-haw for a few parts that seem to be missing from my kit. Plus, I may see if I can re-purpose the remains into something else. Keep it around to futch with when I'm bored or waiting or paint to dry.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Be my friend… Godfather.

Are we going to the mattresses?

Is Paulie gonna cook us all spaghetti just like mama used to make?

Two kills, I mean kits, to be made in the family of all those model builders who took the challenge; this concept may be new to SPA Modeler (I think of this forum as SPAM in a can), however, this is a perfect GB for SPAM and it’s official to boot. Wonderful.

So.

Here’s what I propose for the first task: a silver Mustang that was lo and behold, based in Italy. Mama mia! So near and dear to my heart, Godfather. This kit is from 1967, 56 years ago. That’s the date on the box. It’s a survivor. It’s been around the block, a proud graduate of the school of hard knocks. How many of these kits were initially built right from the box with glue and bottle brush paints and in the previous example from these pages, how many were tied to the ceiling with a piece of string, always in motion, vigilant and ready for combat?

There’s always something inside an old kit, something restless, an older energy. A way of viewing things that has dimmed over the years, swallowed by the technological terrors of our time, insignificant to the power of imagination itself. Let me go all out A New Hope and force choke anyone building a kit made in the past decade. Anything designed by CAD. Anything made with pebbled gray plastic.

1/72 Monogram P-51B

Betty Jane
P-51B, 42-106941
Col. Charles M. McCorkle, CO
31st FG, 15th AF, Italy, 1944

In July 1943, McCorkle took command of the 31st Fighter Group (Spitfires, later P-51s) in Sicily. He participated in air actions during the landings at Salerno and Anzio, fighter support of air attacks in Italy and Central Europe.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

speedgraflex wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:04 am

1/72 Monogram P-51B

Good Choice Bruce - that's a nice little kit. I built one ages ago and really enjoyed it. IIRC it was a pretty good build OOB. The only issue I had was fitting the Malcolm Hood - I ended up breaking a rear window whilst separating the parts. Apologies for the poor photos, the originals have been lost in the dark and foreboding realms of photobucket.

Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Photobucket.

I remember those dark days as well, Stuart!

Thank you, my friend! It’s been a little while since I composed anything here on the forum. I see you have been very busy here! Many exciting new projects! I read with great interest your 2023 Project Plan. I believe that a plan like that is really the very best method for completing just about anything. Keep going, bud.

One small question—are we shoveling our WIP Willy Nilly into one big long and for those with ADD thread?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

lol! True Bruce, but like all of the best laid plans, mine's already go out of the window! The only thing I am determined to do this year is to build something in 1/35.

You can stick it in the WIP thread, but most people have started their own in the WIP sub-forum - here: https://www.spamodeler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=124
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice to see that you're going to be partaking in this family affair Bruce. :hmm: A Mustang in the old country is a fine choice. :ballbat:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks so much, Carlos. I wouldn’t be here today without a lot of help from you and others on the forum. That’s the truth. I’m very grateful.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

speedgraflex wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:04 am Be my friend… Godfather.

Are we going to the mattresses?

Is Paulie gonna cook us all spaghetti just like mama used to make?

Two kills, I mean kits, to be made in the family of all those model builders who took the challenge; this concept may be new to SPA Modeler (I think of this forum as SPAM in a can), however, this is a perfect GB for SPAM and it’s official to boot. Wonderful.

1/72 Monogram P-51B

Betty Jane
P-51B, 42-106941
Col. Charles M. McCorkle, CO
31st FG, 15th AF, Italy, 1944
Bruce I thought for sure that I'd responded to you before, but I can't see it. I just want to say I'm thrilled you're posting again and I am even more thrilled to see you joining La Familia! I'll be watching this build with great eagerness; whichever thread or subforum you put it in!

Bring it on my friend!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Mark! How have you been, my friend? I hope all is well and send you my best!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Would anyone have the decal sheet for the Monogram F-106? Either as surplus that I could get or as a scan and send it to me? I need the red/white striped decals for the marking behind the cockpit.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Monogram Mafia”