Airfix Curtiss P-40B Warhawk

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Airfix Curtiss P-40B Warhawk

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I have a perplexing question. The P-40 Warhawk kit gives me two choices to display the cowl flaps - open and closed. Can someone explain the differences and the benefit/use in open and closed positions? I'm currently on Step 36 in this build.

On an unrelated question which involves the P-47 Thunderbolt - the side turbo charger vents.

I did a Tamiya Thunderbolt kit and I chose to assemble it in open position. What are the benefits when are they opened or closed?
I know there is no right or wrong decision how to display them. I'm just curious on the meaning between open and closed positions.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I always thought the flaps would be open on the tarmac and closed in full performance flight.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Flaps are opened for take off and landing. Their purpose is to increase lift. They can drop while parked as they hydraulics bleed down, if the controls are not locked. Some aircraft do open their flaps for dive bombing as means to slow and improve the pilots aim… and some aircraft have combat maneuvering flaps to tighten their turn radius while dogfighting. But I don’t think that was a feature of the P-47.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Carlos, the question is about cowl and intercooler flaps. Open on the ground for cowl flaps, in trail or partly open in climb, after that depends on cylinder head temps, closed on descent and approach, open after landing. Intercooler ducts are usually operated automatically but probably closed on the ground, open at high power settings.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Nice quick work on the Warhawk. Not familiar with the P-40 but have lots of references now for the P-47. Most photos of the P-47 on the ground show those intercooler doors in the open position.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Post by Brandons_Iron »

jeaton01 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:58 pm Carlos, the question is about cowl and intercooler flaps. Open on the ground for cowl flaps, in trail or partly open in climb, after that depends on cylinder head temps, closed on descent and approach, open after landing. Intercooler ducts are usually operated automatically but probably closed on the ground, open at high power settings.
This is exactly how I understood these to work as well. But, Stik raises a curious point on using them as a brake of sorts. I had never heard that before. Certainly makes sense and these pilots pulled out all the stops to win each engagement.
BrandonK

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

jeaton01 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:58 pm Carlos, the question is about cowl and intercooler flaps. Open on the ground for cowl flaps, in trail or partly open in climb, after that depends on cylinder head temps, closed on descent and approach, open after landing. Intercooler ducts are usually operated automatically but probably closed on the ground, open at high power settings.
Oops… I missed that part… :whistle: :headslap:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Man where was this kit when I did that crap Academy kit. :headbang:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Hobby Lobby.... :whistle:

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

It's a good thing I didn't paint this bird Gunze/Mr. Color 73 Olive Drab FS34087. Waaay too dark :headbang:

I tested 3 different Model Master Olive Drabs:

Faded Olive Drab
Olive Drab FS34087
Olive Drab ANA 613

I'm leaning towards using Faded Olive Drab - perfect for a bird that's been sitting in the tarmac under the Hawaiian sun at Pearl Harbor.

Sorry for the poor lighting. My magnifying lamp bulb blew out a couple le weeks back. The color swatches are still wet when I took the photo. I'll make a final determination once it's completely dried.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”