A veteran of two World Wars

Guns, knives, bows, weapons in general.

NO Politics, None of the stuff we don't allow in other areas. Be nixe.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

A veteran of two World Wars

Post by Gary Brantley »

In 1914, the Spanish company Gabilondo y Uresti started production of a semi-automatic pistol based on John Browning's 1903 design for Colt. By 1915, France was eager for any small arms for use in these early days of the Great War. Gabilondo sent examples of their pistol to France for examination and after testing was completed in May 1915, the French accepted the gun as the "Pistolet Automatique de 7 millimetre 65 genre Ruby" and contracted Gabilondo to produce 10,000 pistols per month for the French military, increasing that demand to 30,000 by August and later even to an unbelievable 50,000 per month.

Gabilondo had trouble coping with the original order, and as the number increased, began "subbing out" construction to other small gun manufacturers in the Eibar region of Spain. Eventually, Gabilondo would contract with 7 other manufacturers, and another 45 companies would engage directly with the French government to produce Ruby-type pistols in various configurations. Eventually about 710,000 of these were produced, and by 1920, about 580,00 were still in French inventory.

My Dad went to Europe in 1944 as part of the 87th Infantry Division, attached to Gen. George Patton's Third Army. In the late Spring of 1945, a long column of German troops surrendered to his unit. The American commander had the Germans line up along a road, while GIs in a jeep drove along collecting all the German weapon in duffel bags. At some point later on, the American commanding officer offered the loot to his soldiers as "souvenirs". My Dad came away with several items, including a Mauser bayonet, a sword (one carried by an enlisted man, so perhaps some sort of non-comm officer?), a .22 cal. pistol and a Ruby-type pistol as well.

Some years later, one of my Dad's brothers, my neer-do-well Uncle Jody lost that .22 pistol in a pawn shop. I still have the rest. When I was a little boy, that sword hung on the wall in my Grandparent's kitchen and still had the ornamental "ball" of some string-like material hanging from the hilt. Over the years, that ball got lost. The bayonet is in pretty good shape considering we used it to cut corn stalks out on the farm. :grin: The Ruby-type pistol he brought back was the only pistol we ever had in our house while I was growing up, and along with the pre-World War One 16 gauge dreilling ( three-barreled shotgun/rifle combo) he sent back, the only firearms around the place until I got my Mossberg .22 semi-auto rifle at age 11. The Ruby went with us, riding in the glovebox, whenever we went on trips, and I saw Dad use it to shoot a sick cow behind her ear once, but it never got much other use.

So, now I've owned it since Dad passed away in 1979. My pistol was made by Isidro Gaztanaga (one of the 45 or more independent contractors for the French procurement order) and sold as "DESTROYER", with French Military code stamp IG. It is chambered for 7.65 Browning or .32 Auto ammunition and holds 9 rounds in the original magazine (alas, I have only one of those mags!) There is a large rivet attached to the left side of the slide and I always wondered why that was there. With the advent of the internet, I found that rivet was added by French Army armorers to prevent the rudimentary safety lever from being disengaged by drawing the pistol from its holster. A simple fix, typical of wartime expediency!

I've often wondered about the roads that old relic has traveled. From its birth in Spain in the midst of World War One, to that day in Germany when my Dad pulled it out of that duffel bag, where in the world did it go? We can assume that it served in two world wars and was carried by soldiers of three different nations at least. Oh, the stories that old gun might tell! Could it have been captured in WWI by a German soldier and then taken home to Germany after that war, only to be carried again by another generation in WWII? Or, maybe captured from the French Army by victorious Germans in 1940 and then carried as a side-arm by a new "owner" until its surrender in 1945? Of course, that is all impossible to know now, and one can only speculate where it may have been, and what deeds may have been perpetrated with it as well. But stories like that do fire my imagination and make me wonder if it couldn't be woven into a great screenplay or story.

Here are a few pics of this Ruby-type pistol and some of its (I assume?) original holster. I hope you've found the story of this antique interesting and enjoy seeing it as it looks today. Thanks for your interest, my friends!

Last edited by Gary Brantley on Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
LyleW
Admin

Re: A veteran of two World Wars

Post by LyleW »

What a story!, And, a nice looking pistol, too.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I would love to hear the tale of its’ travels and experiences if that pistol could talk! Looks to be in pretty good shape for a firearm nearing 100 years or more old.

To the admin folks, is there anyway we could move this thread into the “You’ll shoot your eye out Kid” sub forum? I looked, but could not find the tools to do so on my moderator control panel.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Stikpusher wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:24 pmTo the admin folks, is there anyway we could move this thread into the “You’ll shoot your eye out Kid” sub forum? I looked, but could not find the tools to do so on my moderator control panel.
Done.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

LyleW wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:46 am What a story!, And, a nice looking pistol, too.
Thanks Lyle!
Stikpusher wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:24 pm I would love to hear the tale of its’ travels and experiences if that pistol could talk! Looks to be in pretty good shape for a firearm nearing 100 years or more old.

To the admin folks, is there anyway we could move this thread into the “You’ll shoot your eye out Kid” sub forum? I looked, but could not find the tools to do so on my moderator control panel.
Carlos, wouldn't that be interesting to know of its deeds and adventures? By just about any measure, that old gun is over 100 years old now, and just about as effective as it ever was. Thanks for getting the thread moved as well. :grin:
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

That's pretty cool Gary. My dad had a Czech 32 that had the German eagle and swastika stamped on it in a couple places. Not sure where it is today but carried the same wonder of its travels.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Thanks, and John, that is cool about your Dad's pistol! :bow: We wonder about the history of these old guns, heck, I was just talking to my wife about the Ruby, and then I think maybe we don't really want to know what they did. I know when I disassembled my 1940 German Maser 98K, seeing the date stamped into the hand-guard sort of gave me the shivers. That rifle certainly might have done some seriously heinous deeds back then. :sad:

Annexing Czechoslovakia gave Hitler the Czech's fantastic armaments industry, one of the true "plums" for the Germans. I have a few Czech-made weapons and all of them exhibit a high level of machining skill and design. Is your father's pistol still in your family?
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I wanted one of those Mausers, they were super cheap back in the day. No idea where the 32 is today.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Gary, I’m happy to help getting this thread moved to the appropriate sub forum. :wink:

It’s interesting to ponder the history of individual firearms, when their lineage can be deduced. I have an old P-38 that my father had bought in the post war era. It has CYQ stampings from Spreewerk and all the serial numbers match on the components. It shows typical wartime production rough finish, but the barrel looks to be fairly well used/worn, so it’s tale could be interesting. My surplus type M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, and No.4 Enfield also may have similar tales of travels and service if they could only talk.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

That's so true! I've often wondered what's been seen through the sights of several of my mil-surps. I imagine the Mosins, Mausers and Enfields may have certainly "seen the elephant". The same may be true for my M-1 Garand. Man, I would love to add an M-1 Carbine to my collection. My Dad carried one in Europe. Carlos, I'd love to see some pics of all those pieces. :grin:

My Dad on the right, holding his M-1 Carbine:

That's him again, in the middle; wonder where his rifle was? :grin:

Return to “You'll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid”