Monogram B-17G Out of Mothballs

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Re: Monogram B-17G Out of Mothballs

Post by TheMongoose »

“Latest update. Installed Radio Compartment Gun n Glass. Trying this Vallejo plastic putty. Not thrilled with it. More like Caulking than putty. I would never use it on a NMF. “

Plastic putties are great for thinner seams. When the gap is a little wider i use clear coat over it to seal it before painting. For nmf you seal it with thin superglue and it’s invisible. People love it because it doesn’t require sanding. Always great when you want to avoid sanding away a bunch of hard to recreate rivets and panel lines.
Myself i use the Perfect Plastic Putty. I think like everything else in this hobby it has specific uses, not an all purpose do everything solution.
Love your caulking comparison! A buddy and i were talking a couple months ago and he said he uses drywall putty as that’s really all these are :giggles:
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

I saw the stuff at my LHS two weeks ago and figured I would try it... Should have known better after 30+ years of building. I've only ever used super glue and epoxy putty for filler in that time. I guess there was a reason for that :hmm: I am sure it has it's uses, just not for filling gaps. Probably makes some nice zimmerit, seat cusion, etc...
TheMongoose wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:13 pm Myself i use the Perfect Plastic Putty. I think like everything else in this hobby it has specific uses, not an all purpose do everything solution.
Love your caulking comparison! A buddy and i were talking a couple months ago and he said he uses drywall putty as that’s really all these are :giggles:
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Nice, neat work sir! Your seams look clean even in the close-up photos. Try Black CA glue +Insta Set for those small gaps. You can work on it instantly instead of waiting 12 hours
John aka JKim
-----------<><
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Thanks for the tip, but the reason I have to wait 12 hours is because this CA is like 12 or 18 month old, so it sets up very slow. If I added nail powder to new CA, the working time would be almost nothing. This also works very good if you want the CA to have a long time to level out before setting.
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Monkey = Off Back

Man the windscreen is a pain on this kit. Finally got it installed and painted! Filled the gaps with extra thick CA, immediately wiping smooth with cotton swab. Naturally, I had to future the thing first to prevent fogging.
Glad I bought these Eduard masks. Great Time Saver. And based on how long I've been working on this kit, they only cost me about .50 cents a year... The overhead glass masks did not fit that great though. Well the port side fit well, but not the starboard. I think Eduard made the mistake of thinking one side would just be an exact mirror of the other...forgetting how kits were designed in 1975 :giggles:

jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Nice paintwork, Chris.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

jeaton01 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:14 pm Nice paintwork, Chris.
Indeed! You’re really making those raised panel lines look like the overlapping skin panels of the real B-17.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Perfect analogy
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Thank you kindly John, Carlos and John !
tempestjohnny wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:26 am
Stikpusher wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:22 pm
Indeed! You’re really making those raised panel lines look like the overlapping skin panels of the real B-17.
Perfect analogy
Stikpusher wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:22 pm

Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Post by Brandons_Iron »

Continuing to look extraordinary in workmanship and details. I've always been impressed with your work on this one and more, but especially this one. :shoutout:
BrandonK

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”