Would you rather pay more for better accuracy, or save some cash on a less accurate kit?

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
keyda81
Advanced Member

Would you rather pay more for better accuracy, or save some cash on a less accurate kit?

Post by keyda81 »

So I was having a discussion with a fellow modeling friend on Facebook. He was kind of complaining about how a lot of kits are inaccurate to their subject. I specifically mentioned the Trumpeter C-47 kit. It does have a few inaccuracies, but I don't think it's all that bad. It's way more detailed than the old Monogram offering. Not knocking the Monogram offering, I like them both. I've built the Monogram one 3 times, lol. Anyway, said friend wishes they would focus more on accuracy than just pumping out kits. My reply to that was it takes more time, hence more money to produce a more accurate kit. Which is going to make the kit more expensive. I feel like this hobby is mostly made up of your average person like myself who isn't going to spend hundreds of dollars on a kit. (I think the most I ever spent was around a hundred bucks on Tamiya's F-14D.) Take HPH's 1/32 C-47. As much as I would LOVE to have a giant Whiskey 7, there is no way in hell I'm paying the near $700 price tag for it. EVER. I just can't justify that.

Anyway, so my question is would you rather pay more for something with better accuracy, or pay less for something not quite as accurate?

Most of us, myself included aren't going to notice minor inaccuracies. Shapes being slightly off, etc. I have noticed the shape of the engine cowlings not being right on Trumpeter's C-47, the front edge comes in too far where it wraps around the engine. This can be fixed though with some trimming and sanding. The other thing that bugs me is that kit does not offer the different size carb scoops. It just has the really long one. It also did not come with Rebecca antenna, and had the football antenna in the wrong place. All things that I think can be remedied. I think the detail that the kit has makes up for those things.
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Would you rather pay more for better accuracy, or save some cash on a less accurate kit?

Post by keavdog »

That's a tough one. You know the c-47 inside and out and would appreciate super accurate. I however appreciate the history and the lines of the bird and don't know enough to say what is or isn't accurate so here I'd go price. Now take an Formula 1 car model, I'd pay a bit more for all the bits and bobs that make the engine look authentic. So like most things... it depends. I will, however, pay for fit and finish every time. Spend a bit more for a kit that is a joy to build.
Thanks,
John
LyleW
Admin

Re: Would you rather pay more for better accuracy, or save some cash on a less accurate kit?

Post by LyleW »

I prefer the less expensive option. No one sees my stuff anyway. My hands have a fair amount arthritis and can get somewhat stiff.

Oh, a little bird has mentioned that a 1/32 DC-3/C-47 May also be in the works from HPH.....
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

I guess I don't accept the premise that accuracy drives cost so I have no answer..
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I prefer something I can afford. Irregardless of how accurate a model is, it doesn't make a difference to me if I can't buy it anyway....
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I agree that accuracy and cost are not mutually exclusive. Many older kits, particularly those by Monogram, are more accurate in shape than newer kits (yes Trumpeter, I’m looking at you). Those old hand carved molds tended to be more accurate compared to some companies’ CAD molds. What I don’t care for excessively high parts counts or overengineering. You know the type, the kit that makes a sub assembly in six to ten parts when two to five will do quite well. That is where costs go up. More tooling to produce more parts. Is it more accurate? Maybe so, maybe not. But it sure will be more intricate. Personally I really like Eduard’s current approach. The same basic kit will be issued as a basic Weekend Edition, a boxing with lots of detailing add ons in the Profi Pack, and Royal Class that has all the goodies of the Profi Pack plus other goodies. I’m perfectly happy with the Weekend Edition kits myself, as I don’t care much for PE.
In a nutshell, will I pay more for a more accurate or more detailed kit? No not likely. I’m content with something more economical.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Interesting question! I think I'm in the minority here but I would gladly pay more for better accuracy, if there was ever that choice. But I also agree with Carlos and others that I don't think accuracy is a big driver when it comes to cost. More details... yes, that would add to complexity and cost but not necessarily better accuracy.

Compared to my other interests (photography, fishing), this hobby is relatively cheap and I consider EVERYTHING available within consideration from a financial perspective. That's why I load most of my builds with as much aftermarket stuff as I can. I think it's so cool that there is a thriving marketplace of smaller companies providing resin, photoetch, 3D-printed parts and decals. Many of these "companies" are just passionate individuals and will chime in and comment on the build threads. In some scenarios, they will offer customized products just because they are interested in what we are building.

I was this close to pulling the trigger on the 1/32 Border Lancaster with no intention of building it, just to take a look at what many consider to be the pinnacle of injection molded aircraft kits.

On the flip-side, I have zero or little interest in vintage kits. I already built many of them in my youth and I don't feel a need to re-visit the past when there are so many better kits out there now.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

keavdog wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:55 am That's a tough one. You know the c-47 inside and out and would appreciate super accurate. I however appreciate the history and the lines of the bird and don't know enough to say what is or isn't accurate so here I'd go price. Now take an Formula 1 car model, I'd pay a bit more for all the bits and bobs that make the engine look authentic. So like most things... it depends. I will, however, pay for fit and finish every time. Spend a bit more for a kit that is a joy to build.
I know Whiskey 7 inside and out(well maybe :giggles:) and I do appreciate things being accurate, but I think I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of accuracy for more detail. Probably why I don't mind the Trumpeter kit. It has the oil tanks, fire seal, and engine mounts, and more detailed engines compared to the old Monogram.
LyleW wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:11 pm I prefer the less expensive option. No one sees my stuff anyway. My hands have a fair amount arthritis and can get somewhat stiff.

Oh, a little bird has mentioned that a 1/32 DC-3/C-47 May also be in the works from HPH.....
You mean 1/48? 1/32 is the one that costs almost 700 bucks. I would love a super accurate, and detailed offering in 1/48, but how much are they going to charge for that 350? Still can't justify that price. I would have a hard time even at 200.
cbaltrin wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:32 pm I guess I don't accept the premise that accuracy drives cost so I have no answer..

I realize it's not the only thing that drives cost, but I'm sure it has a lot to do with it. I never hear anyone knocking Tamiya's accuracy on anything, and I find their kits are on the higher end of the price spectrum. Just my experience.
Duke Maddog wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:14 pm I prefer something I can afford. Irregardless of how accurate a model is, it doesn't make a difference to me if I can't buy it anyway....
That is a very good point. I looked into two different 1/72 C-47 kits. The airfix, and Italeri. I landed up going with Italeri based on price alone, the airfix was twice the price. Of course there were some complaints about the accuracy of the Italeri kit, but honestly I didn't notice anything horrible about it. Built up quite nice too.
Stikpusher wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:23 pm I agree that accuracy and cost are not mutually exclusive. Many older kits, particularly those by Monogram, are more accurate in shape than newer kits (yes Trumpeter, I’m looking at you). Those old hand carved molds tended to be more accurate compared to some companies’ CAD molds. What I don’t care for excessively high parts counts or overengineering. You know the type, the kit that makes a sub assembly in six to ten parts when two to five will do quite well. That is where costs go up. More tooling to produce more parts. Is it more accurate? Maybe so, maybe not. But it sure will be more intricate. Personally I really like Eduard’s current approach. The same basic kit will be issued as a basic Weekend Edition, a boxing with lots of detailing add ons in the Profi Pack, and Royal Class that has all the goodies of the Profi Pack plus other goodies. I’m perfectly happy with the Weekend Edition kits myself, as I don’t care much for PE.
In a nutshell, will I pay more for a more accurate or more detailed kit? No not likely. I’m content with something more economical.
I agree the older kits can be more accurate, but some also lack detail. I should of mentioned that in my initial post. I can see why they make higher parts count stuff, it depends on the mood I'm in if I find it annoying or not, lol. Sometimes I don't mind the long dragged out build with a ton of parts that will keep me occupied for hours and hours. Other times I'm like was that really necessary to make that into 10 different parts?!
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I think it depends on one's goal with modeling. Mark is building a museum, and that is pretty much what satisfies me. I feel like kits that are not accurate, particularly kits made with the newer methods, are insulting and I avoid them. However, if an old kit is the only one available, then I may be happy enough with it so long as I can fix it with less effort than scratchbuilding.

Those who build for the joy of modeling alone will make different choices. I do enjoy the building and finishing but a billion parts that no one will see doesn't work for me. I suspect I am more attached to my finished models than many, witness all those relics from the 60's that are still around here.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

This is a very interesting question. If there is in fact a 100% :quotes: accurate :quotes: kit out there, hell, I’d like to know about it.

I agree with Keyda - it’s does involve time and money to create a 100% accurate model kit by the manufacturer. Yet, no matter what, there will always be that one self claimed expert of a stickler out there who’ll say otherwise. Nobody wins.

I’m content with being the average builder without spending stupid money for a kit. I’m also particular about the brand I like. I’m more interested in fit and cost than accuracy. Sure, once in a blue moon if I find a kit I really, really, need or want, I’ll spend for it as long it’s a reasonable amount. As I’ve mentioned before, I’d love to get my hands on the 1/32 scale Lancaster kit but I don’t have that kind of money to spend for it. (the only exception is if I won some serious F U money, then I would buy it. :giggles:)

If accuracy is an issue, there’s plenty of aftermarket parts out there if he/she wants to achieve that goal.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Modeling Discussion”