Would you rather pay more for better accuracy, or save some cash on a less accurate kit?

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Would you rather pay more for better accuracy, or save some cash on a less accurate kit?

Post by Stuart »

I'm sort of in the middle - whilst I'm not that bothered about a model being fully accurate down to the last bump and antenna, I do like it at least to look like the subject it represents. I don't generally spend a lot on kits (one of the advantages of working in 1/72) but I'm not adverse to spending a bit more for something a bit better - hence my Hasegawa F-111E!

I'm actually more interested in good fit and better engineering than accurate
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Tojo72
Master Member

Re: Would you rather pay more for better accuracy, or save some cash on a less accurate kit?

Post by Tojo72 »

If it looks like a Tiger,I'm happy,to a point of course.Im more concerned about engineering,good fit,good plastic and detail.
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

I lean twords the pay a bit less and lose a little accuracy, as long as it's not major inaccuracies. I would also settle for a few less parts. There was a day I wanted as many parts as possible but now with aging eyes and arthritic hands less is getting to be more.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Yup! The HPH 1/
Ew C-47D haas over 1800 parts, of which I’d lose around 1700. My hands are getting knobbier each day. And now the wife is having hand .surgery next week to fuse the first knuckle on her right hand. Arthritis has, as the hand doc put it, just destroyed the joint.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

jkim wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:06 pm Interesting question! I think I'm in the minority here but I would gladly pay more for better accuracy, if there was ever that choice. But I also agree with Carlos and others that I don't think accuracy is a big driver when it comes to cost. More details... yes, that would add to complexity and cost but not necessarily better accuracy.

Compared to my other interests (photography, fishing), this hobby is relatively cheap and I consider EVERYTHING available within consideration from a financial perspective. That's why I load most of my builds with as much aftermarket stuff as I can. I think it's so cool that there is a thriving marketplace of smaller companies providing resin, photoetch, 3D-printed parts and decals. Many of these "companies" are just passionate individuals and will chime in and comment on the build threads. In some scenarios, they will offer customized products just because they are interested in what we are building.

I was this close to pulling the trigger on the 1/32 Border Lancaster with no intention of building it, just to take a look at what many consider to be the pinnacle of injection molded aircraft kits.

On the flip-side, I have zero or little interest in vintage kits. I already built many of them in my youth and I don't feel a need to re-visit the past when there are so many better kits out there now.
As a stay at home Mom, my definition of cheap, and others may vary greatly, lol. I suppose there are many varying factors when it comes to deciding on what kit to go with, and it's going to be different for everyone. After recently completing Revell's old P-61 with some PE, and resin wheels, I'm willing to bet I spent no more than 30-40 bucks between the kit, and such. I don't remember exactly. Then there is the Hobby Boss, and GWH offerings. I would think they have better fit, maybe more detail. I honestly don't know. But anyway, I would have to assume people would consider them superior kits over the Revell offering. But I'd still probably pick the Revell offering. It has a decent amount of detail, and can be built up rather nice if the time is taken. Plus I can buy the kit, and aftermarket stuff for less than the price of the other offerings.
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

jeaton01 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:34 pm I think it depends on one's goal with modeling. Mark is building a museum, and that is pretty much what satisfies me. I feel like kits that are not accurate, particularly kits made with the newer methods, are insulting and I avoid them. However, if an old kit is the only one available, then I may be happy enough with it so long as I can fix it with less effort than scratchbuilding.

Those who build for the joy of modeling alone will make different choices. I do enjoy the building and finishing but a billion parts that no one will see doesn't work for me. I suspect I am more attached to my finished models than many, witness all those relics from the 60's that are still around here.
I wonder if it does depend a lot on how long someone has been around the hobby. Consider it maturing maybe, lol. I do know that when I first started I could of cared less about what kit was what. Now I kind of look into and see what is going to be the best bet for the price. Sometimes I will pick less frustration and purchase the kit that is better, paying a little more.
BlackSheep214 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:09 pm This is a very interesting question. If there is in fact a 100% :quotes: accurate :quotes: kit out there, hell, I’d like to know about it.

I agree with Keyda - it’s does involve time and money to create a 100% accurate model kit by the manufacturer. Yet, no matter what, there will always be that one self claimed expert of a stickler out there who’ll say otherwise. Nobody wins.

I’m content with being the average builder without spending stupid money for a kit. I’m also particular about the brand I like. I’m more interested in fit and cost than accuracy. Sure, once in a blue moon if I find a kit I really, really, need or want, I’ll spend for it as long it’s a reasonable amount. As I’ve mentioned before, I’d love to get my hands on the 1/32 scale Lancaster kit but I don’t have that kind of money to spend for it. (the only exception is if I won some serious F U money, then I would buy it. :giggles:)

If accuracy is an issue, there’s plenty of aftermarket parts out there if he/she wants to achieve that goal.
That is too true. It seems to me if you are that much of a stickler on accuracy it would take the fun right out of the hobby. I don't think I have a brand preference. There are several manufacturers out there that I haven't built.
Stuart wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:29 pm I'm sort of in the middle - whilst I'm not that bothered about a model being fully accurate down to the last bump and antenna, I do like it at least to look like the subject it represents. I don't generally spend a lot on kits (one of the advantages of working in 1/72) but I'm not adverse to spending a bit more for something a bit better - hence my Hasegawa F-111E!

I'm actually more interested in good fit and better engineering than accurate
Me too. I would much rather not fight with the kit the entire way through. Fit, and no injector pin marks that I have to fill and sand would be nice. They drive me nuts.
LyleW wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:17 pm
midnightprowler wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:45 pm I lean twords the pay a bit less and lose a little accuracy, as long as it's not major inaccuracies. I would also settle for a few less parts. There was a day I wanted as many parts as possible but now with aging eyes and arthritic hands less is getting to be more.
Yup! The HPH 1/
Ew C-47D haas over 1800 parts, of which I’d lose around 1700. My hands are getting knobbier each day. And now the wife is having hand .surgery next week to fuse the first knuckle on her right hand. Arthritis has, as the hand doc put it, just destroyed the joint.
Wow, that is a lot of parts. That is a bit excessive. Thing is if it were cheaper, I would probably buy it, and fully enjoy building it. Only because I work on the real thing, and I know the parts. If I was the average person who wasn't fortunate to be so close to Whiskey 7 than all those parts would just be annoying, lol. Arthritis sucks. Hope the wife's surgery goes well.
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Keyda, Are you sure you just don't have Post Tramatic Monogram P-61 Syndrome? :tease:
keyda81 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:38 am
I wonder if it does depend a lot on how long someone has been around the hobby. Consider it maturing maybe, lol. I do know that when I first started I could of cared less about what kit was what. Now I kind of look into and see what is going to be the best bet for the price. Sometimes I will pick less frustration and purchase the kit that is better, paying a little more.
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

Maybe a little, lol. A discussion on Facebook had me wondering.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

cbaltrin wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:32 pm Keyda, Are you sure you just don't have Post Tramatic Monogram P-61 Syndrome? :tease:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

By nature, I'm frugal :lashed: , ok...ok...I'm a cheap bastard. But I'd much rather pay just a little more for an accurate kit. Here's a goid example. The Hasegawa 48th P-51D is a good kit. But....for just $10-$20 more you can get a Eduard kit which is much more accurate and fits good. Or for roughly the,same price you can get the Tamiya or Airfix kit.

Will I spend mega money on a kit? Probably not. But if I'm looking for a certain kit I'll do my best to find the cheapest way to get it.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”