Monogram 1/48 F-106 Delta Dart from 1983

LyleW
Admin

Re: Monogram 1/48 F-106 Delta Dart from 1983

Post by LyleW »

This is the F-106 and the F-86A - quite a difference in size.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well… one could break the speed of sound in a dive, the other, go at least twice that speed in level flight. One had an internal armament of six .50 cal. machine guns, while the other carried various guided missiles internally, or a nuclear air to air rocket, or 20mm Gatling gun. One had a simple ranging radar for the gunsight while the other had an all weather day & night air intercept radar that could be integrated with ground based search radars to extend its capabilities.
Yeah, it took a bigger airframe to shoehorn that stuff inside… :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's coming along really well Lyle!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stuart wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:04 pm That's coming along really well Lyle!
Thank you, Stuart. She is a handful with less than 12 sqin of work space. Really need to clean the space.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

LyleW wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:50 am This is the F-106 and the F-86A - quite a difference in size.

Looks good Lyle. Whish we had a close up of that six's cockpit -- looks like some nice painting going on in there. Also, I hope that keyboard has some sticky keys... hate for those birds to go for an unscheduled flight :whistle:
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, Chris. That is a new keyboard. It is amazing what several ounces of lacquer thinner will do to one.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Not much of an update. Waiting on canopy masks. EZ-Masks may never get here. The owner said it usually takes 10 days each way these days. So, I found a set of Eduard masks that should be here today or tomorrow. Now that I have an extra set, I (of course) had to order a kit on which to use them.

Following the time-honored practice os fill, sand, prime, repeat .... I think I may be about at the finish line. In these pictures, you will see some Tamiya gray that has not been sanded out as yet.

As Stuart mentioned, the fuselage/wing mating was a "challenge". I'd say it was a lot like elephant mating...done with a lot of roaring, screaming and takes a long time to get any results.

Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Smooth work Lyle! You're getting this thing along man; it won't be long and you'll be slingin' paint! :shoutout:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, Gary. You should see the walls! That is some paint slingin'!

I plan on using the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer as the color coat. Once it is sprayed on and dries, it will be rubbed out a bit with 0000 steel wool, then gloss coated. I hope.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Nice work Lyle!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”