Stuart's Builds - Tornado Finished - almost.

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Stuart's Builds - Tornado Started

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the milliput advice chaps - mines a few years old although it's never been opened. I do think the issue I had was probably down to my mixing ratio though - it probably wasn't 50/50.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Gary Brantley wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:03 am Stuart, that's some great progress on a cool airplane! :grin: I've always admired the Tornados; the first time I heard of the type was while reading Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising". Keep up the great work, it's really rocking! :guitar:
It was a great aircraft that served our county well for a long time - it was definitely retired too damn early imho, along with the Harrier.

Thanks Gary!

And I love that book too!

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:19 pm
Gary Brantley wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:03 am Stuart, that's some great progress on a cool airplane! :grin: I've always admired the Tornados; the first time I heard of the type was while reading Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising". Keep up the great work, it's really rocking! :guitar:
Did you ever read Sir John Hackett’s late 1970’s speculative fiction work, “The Third World War”? I remember reading about Tornados in that book several years before Red Storm Rising was published. The first chapter of Hackett’s book is a series of Day One first person experience scenarios, including a Luftwaffe Tornado pilot. I don’t recall if that was the first time that I had read of the type though, as I was big into reading all sorts of then current defense publications that I could get my hands on. I still have the Armed Forces Journal 1983 edition of the Soviet Threat issue.

Now Stuart, go get that putty cleaned up!
The putty is going - I've removed it from around the nose!

I've never heard of that book, but I now have a copy on order! :lashed: Thanks Carlos!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart, most of the Hackett book is pretty dry reading. The majority of it is rather encyclopedic in its’ presentation. But it sure gives a view that is rather frightening in its’ scenario based upon the projections of when it was written in the late 70’s. Harold Coyle’s Team Yankee is set within the framework of Hackett’s book, but just keeps focused on its’ one tank/infantry team for the whole tale, Team Yankee, and tells the story from the front line view, opposite of most of Hackett’s work.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Carlos, I always thought it was interesting to compare how WWIII began in the two books. Both seemed plausible, and equally frightening. I do need to go back and revisit them both, it's been so many years since I read either one.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Stuart wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:03 pm
It was a great aircraft that served our county well for a long time - it was definitely retired too damn early imho, along with the Harrier.

Thanks Gary!

And I love that book too!
The British seem to retire aircraft WAY too early. Like the Nimrod, Sentinel and the E-3.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Tell me about it! Mind you, the only reason we retired them (and I'm pretty certain the Harrier) was to buy a handful of F-35's. I'm not sure that was the wisest choice personally - I don't think the UK's a big enough player to ass about with 5th generation. I can't believe we ditched the Sentinelsand the Sentries either. WE do have Poseidons now though.

I do think we'd have been better sticking with the Tornado & Typhoon and maybe getting Hornets for the new carriers.

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Well you're part of Lockmart now just like most of Europe. The problem is that the Brits retire aircraft before there's a replacement. Yeah you have the Poseidon now but how long did you go without a dedicated maritime patrol aircraft.

Anyways, get back to the Fin.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Hey it's my thread, I can hijack it if I want to!

Yes indeed, we went far too long without a dedicated maritime patrol aircraft, which is bloody stupid if you consider we're an island nation. The trouble with the UK is we're still trying to be a major world-player, but we really ain't - we don't have the funds for it - Christ, our standing Army doesn't even meet the requirements for NATO membership anymore! Whilst we'll always be there to back up our Allies, I do think we should have been modelling ourselves as a defence force, a'la Japan - for quite a while. It seems bloody pointless having two aircraft carriers, when we can barely afford enough aircraft to put on them, and severely weaken the rest of our forces in the process.

As for the 'Big Fin' - progress is being made - I have however have to take the canopy off and dunk it future. I think the fumes from the CA glue I used to fix the nose weight reacted with the clear part.

You might notice the book....

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks good Stuart… both the model and the reading material. Hope that you enjoy the book.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”