Hobbyboss 1/48 FM-2 Wildcat

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

Hobbyboss 1/48 FM-2 Wildcat

Post by LyleW »

I have been working on this one, while other project dry, cure, rot...etc. A pretty decent kit.

DECALS - I guess my water bottle that I use is contaminated or something. I've gone through close to 4 sets of "star and bar" insignia decals. Yes, that many and all of them save one or two have come apart. Some were salvageable, others not.

This include a set from Techmod I got from Rebel Alpha (Scott). I've let him know. HB isn't going to do anything, so why bother. I have one more set coming.

The only thing that I can think of that would cross more than one brand of decal is bad/contaminated water. I use an old Isopropyl alcohol bottle that I've used for quite a while.

Anyway here are some picture of the build itself. I'm waiting on canopy masks to finish up the canopy.

https://i.postimg.cc/Kzkpd1Jk/IMG-0360.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/3xtLNXq0/IMG-0369.jpg

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Re: Hobbyboss 1/48 FM-2 Wildcat

Post by Gary Brantley »

Good looking progress so far Lyle! :shoutout: That is weird about the decals. Have you tried using water straight from the tap?
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That will be next, I guess. It was not just the star/bar decals, but the tail number 20 as well and the wing walkway decals etc. I'm going to get a new squeeze bottle this afternoon somewhere.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Nice model, Lyle, very nice! Sorry about your decals. Maybe warmer water? I use distilled water.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Post by TheMongoose »

Very strange. I’ll be hanging around to see what you find out. You can’t have cracked decals on a nice model like that!
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looking good Lyle. Love the Atlantic camo
Thanks,
John
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looking fantastic, Lyle. I usually have spare star and bars insignia decals on hand. Rebel Alpha is an awesome eBay seller. He's got some great stuff and is my go-to guy for decals and other stuff.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

You use an old Isopropyl alcohol bottle? That's probably the problem.I would use distilled water.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

jeaton01 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:49 am Nice model, Lyle, very nice! Sorry about your decals. Maybe warmer water? I use distilled water.
Thanks, John. Yeah, the water was cold. May try distilled, too.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

TheMongoose wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:53 am Very strange. I’ll be hanging around to see what you find out. You can’t have cracked decals on a nice model like that!
Aliens, that’s what I think. I guess the modeling gods got tired of stealing parts! Thanks for the kind words.
Medicman71 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:30 pm You use an old Isopropyl alcohol bottle? That's probably the problem.I would use distilled water.
It has been washed out and refilled many times. Oh well, as good a tome as any to try distilled water.
BlackSheep214 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:36 am Looking fantastic, Lyle. I usually have spare star and bars insignia decals on hand. Rebel Alpha is an awesome eBay seller. He's got some great stuff and is my go-to guy for decals and other stuff.
Thanks, Tom. Nice kit. If you have any you can spare, let me know.
keavdog wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:09 am Looking good Lyle. Love the Atlantic camo
Thanks! That scheme kindly grabbed me. One of the first times trying a soft edge with the airbrush.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”