Vietnam War Stories -- Wow -- That sucks

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Vietnam War Stories -- Wow -- That sucks

Post by Stuart »

That's really sad that - all because of a bloody cartridge starter.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

My late father-in-law, Jack Terhune, was a young airman stationed at various airbases around the Texas Panhandle (I always wonder if he did or said something to get himself assigned to those "remote", windy places... :wink: but hey, perhaps it was better than an assignment to Korea in the early '50s) and he described a visit they had one day by an RAF Canberra. He was on the flight-line when the engines were started, of course by that bloody cartridge starter. When that cartridge fired, he said it scared the crap out of him as he had never been around the type before, and hearing it, was sure the plane had blown up in someway! I heard him tell that story several times. :grin:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Well, that takes FUBAR in another whole level....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Gary Brantley wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:26 am
Stuart wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:01 am That's really sad that - all because of a bloody cartridge starter.
My late father-in-law, Jack Terhune, was a young airman stationed at various airbases around the Texas Panhandle (I always wonder if he did or said something to get himself assigned to those "remote", windy places... :wink: but hey, perhaps it was better than an assignment to Korea in the early '50s) and he described a visit they had one day by an RAF Canberra. He was on the flight-line when the engines were started, of course by that bloody cartridge starter. When that cartridge fired, he said it scared the crap out of him as he had never been around the type before, and hearing it, was sure the plane had blown up in someway! I heard him tell that story several times. :grin:
I can imagine!

It's bound to be a typical British invention, I can imagine the conversation at Rolls Royce... ''So what we need chaps, is a bloody big shotgun cartridge...''
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I want to say that several aircraft types used those turbine engine starter cartridges. Particularly those types tasked with nuclear alert scramble response or air defense interceptors.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Stikpusher wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:08 pm In the wake of the Forrestal and Enterprise fires, the Zuni rockets were banished from carrier board useage. They are still used by land based USN/USMC aircraft, but not from ship based ones.
That and all bombs have the thermal protection on them.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Glamdring
Advanced Member

Post by Glamdring »

Stikpusher wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:17 pm A common train of thought with those who reach a top chain of command position is, “oh that won’t happen again… that’s the last war…”
Until, of course, the enemy proves that wrong
I vaguely recall some quote about generals always fighting the last war though....go figure.
aka Robert

"I can't get ahead no matter how hard I try, I'm gettin' really good at barely gettin' by"
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Some generals do, some generals do not. We can look to the last and current wars for lessons to be learned, but not for what will happen next.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Free Discussion”