Fujimi 1/72 A4D-2

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Re: Fujimi 1/72 A4D-2

Post by Gary Brantley »

tempestjohnny wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:09 am That's awesome in every way
Yes sir, what he said! :shoutout:
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow! Very nice work!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Man... who doesn't love a Scooter? Well done!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

John, that’s a nice collection of Douglas postwar carrier aircraft. Your early Scooter looks great! I think that you need to add an A3D Skywarrior next.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I was thinking an SBD, Carlos, but an A3D and a B-66 will also need to be added. The A-20, and A-26 also can be included, though I know that Ted Smith is often credited for the A-26, working under Heinemann's direction. I could have included my Italeri B-26K in the picture, I guess. The D-558 II is also credited to Heinemann, I don't know about the D-558-I. The F3D is another. What a list for one man.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Wiki says that these were his Douglas Aircraft designs:

During his long career at Douglas, Heinemann designed more than 20 combat aircraft, primarily for the U.S. Navy, including many that became legends in aviation history. His designs included the following aircraft:

SBD Dauntless dive bomber
A-20 Havoc light bomber/attack aircraft
A-26 Invader light bomber/attack aircraft
A-1 Skyraider attack aircraft
A-3 Skywarrior bomber[3]
A-4 Skyhawk light bomber
F3D Skyknight night fighter
F4D Skyray carrier-based fighter aircraft
Douglas Skystreak and Douglas Skyrocket research aircraft

I have read that he was at Northrop before Douglas and that the BT-1, older brother of the SBD, was also his work.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I was trying to figure out if he had a hand in the TBD, but near as I can guess he didn't, and there is a chance that Dutch Kindleberger and Arther Raymond might be to blame. Raymond also gets credit for the DC-3 so he wasn't all bad, and Kindleberger had a pretty good career too. Hard to figure the DC-1/2 and the TBD from the same shop at about the same time, at least with respect to that corrugated wing.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

jeaton01 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:56 pm I ended up doing the kit scheme, but I don't remember why. This was a difficult build for me because of a tremor I have always had and the brittleness of some of the plastic. Don't know if that has to do with the age of my kit or not. It is also a pretty small model. The nose gear shattered into three parts and broke again today when I was putting it in the display case. The slats were finally successfully put on using epoxy, I think next time I will use brass wire and fit the wire before joining the upper and lower wing parts. The modular nature of the kit was not an issue as the fit was pretty good.
Well you did a real nice Job John. You scooter looks real nice sitting their with your other builds. Looks like a mini air and space museum.
I wonder if I'll ever get to my Fujimi TA-4J... got two of em in the stash...
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”