B-26G Marauder

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
LyleW
Admin

B-26G Marauder

Post by LyleW »

Crashed in Lebanon Junction KY on 30 AUG 1944, killing all on board I think. That is oh, 10 miles from our house. Witnesses say one engine was mis-firing, the quit and the a/c spun I’m. The guy at the museum sent me the accident report ant it looks like the pilot was low, low time in type and 500 hrs or so in various other types. Co-pilot was zero time in type. David tells me they simply buried the a/c on site.

I can find a record(s) listing the accident, but would like to find some images of tha particular plane. A long shot to be sure.

Tail number was 43-34517,, had 0564 somewhere on it. It was headed from Baltimore MD to Nashville TN and ultimately destined foe the U.K.and RAF duty.

Any of you guys want to dig around?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: B-26G Marauder

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Hmmm… interesting. I might try and find something if and when I get a little down time. :hmm: Methinks somebody will find it quicker than I can. :bag:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking up RAF Marauders, they were rather plainly marked. Since it had not been yet assigned to an RAF squadron, it would be devoid of any codes, and likely carry only the RAF roundels and fin flash. An RAF assigned serial number, different from the US serial number should be stenciled in black on the fuselage sides beneath the horizontal stabilizers.

Here’s an example of an RAF B-26G Marauder Mk.III

Found the RAF Serial number for that airframe:

34517 to RAF as Marauder III HD654. Crashed before delivery to RAF
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Good Morning.

I need advIce, please.

I've been looking for some decent references of the B-26 RAF code HD654. Not surprisingly, i've found none. I have found some of HD664 and HD674, which in my mind, suggest they may have been in the same batch transferred to the RAF. But, I do not have a grat deal of confidence in that assumption.

Looking at the photo of the wreckage with the code "D654", it seems to not be OD. Looks to be a light gray or perhaps a desert tan. Given where the codes were placed under the horizontal stabilizer, It seems likely that the background would have been olive drab.

There were a/c in an all gray or tan/desert schemss.

What do you guys think?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looks like it to me.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The B-26 in desert camouflage in the photo that you posted is an early A model Marauder I, as identified by the short vertical stabilizer and large prop spinners.

The other two RAF Serial Numbers are from the same production batch of B-26G-10-MA. Here are their listings on Joe Baugher’s website, with USAAF serial number, RAF serial number, and final fates.

If you could post the photos that you found, it would help to make an assessment. RAF Bomber serial number were usually painted in one of two colors, black or red. The debris fragment serial does look to be black.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I think the serial number photo was taken with a flash attachment, hard to tell what color it could be.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That does look like it. If so inclined, I wonder if one might make a hike to that site and see what is to be seen….

So, guys, what color would you paint one?
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I can post some tomorrow…maybe. Youngest granddaughter woke up sick, we have her brother. At this point, we do not know if Ella will be sent up to Cincinnati Childrens Hospital for evaluation. I hope not.

The pics that I’ve found doing a Google search for RAF B-26 images are all very dark and somewhat grainy - common to the period. None clearly show tail codes.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Hi Lyle!

I caught your post on FB - I'm okay chap, thanks for asking, I've just been taking a break from the internet of late - I was spending far too much time staring at screens. :bag:

In regards to the RAF B-26s - I'll have a look through my references (I'm stuck in an all day Teams meeting at the mo. I have found these colour shots on the interweb though - looks to me they're either OD or Desert. I'll have a look through my books later.

It's not an aircraft I know much about I have to say.

Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Free Discussion”