My grandsons drivin' and shootin' on D-Day

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

My grandsons drivin' and shootin' on D-Day

Post by Gary Brantley »

This is the third summer that Jackie and I have hosted our two grandsons for a week. They always have a good time here and so do we, of course. In two weeks, we'll have our two granddaughters for their first whole week with us. Yesterday, I took the boys out to our farm, Brokenoak. They are just four months apart; the oldest one is Johnny Huerta and he'll turn 9 on Aug. 11. Sullivan Brantley turns 9 Dec. 18. By the time I was their age, I was already driving our 1946 Chevy pickup (the '46 was the same truck sold in '42; no new civilian trucks were available during the war years.). I would get out to open the gate and when Dad drove through, he would slide over and I would take the wheel! It looked pretty much just like this one:

It had a windshield that cranked out, a cowl vent for "fresh air", a starter on the floorboard, and the brake and clutch pedals came up from that floorboard. The shifter was on the floor. I wish I had one of those old Chevys today!

The grandsons started the day with a little shooting. I took my Benjamin .22 caliber air rifle as it was shorter than my other "pellet" gun. It's still a bit too long for a proper hold, and too hard to pump up (It's a challenge for ol' Grandad to get that 8th pump done too :wink: ). Then, I got out my two CZ-made .22LR "garden guns". They were built in 1950 and were ostensibly used to control garden pests. Again, just a bit too long still but it won't be for too much longer. It's pretty difficult to aim well if you can't really shoulder a rifle correctly, but they did okay and had huge fun. I loaded each round in the single-shot, bolt-action rifles and sat directly beside them as they shot. We had some good, safe fun with those little rifles!

After that round, we got out the two Daisy BB guns we've got and I let them roam around the stock tank while I watched. They were stalking turtles out in the water and I doubt those Daisy would've done much damage to the their prey but they had a ball! I remember doing the same thing out there when I was their age. :grin:

After going back to town for lunch with Mammy (Jackie :grin: ), we headed back out. My 30 acre hay field is leased to a man who was cutting the hay when we first arrived that morning. He was just about done by the time we returned, so the boys took turns driving my truck, straddling the rows of cut grass, which sort gave them a "path" to follow. Again, much merriment ensued! They did a good job, and yes, I sat in the middle of the front seat with quick access to steering and brakes! :wink:

Here's a few pics from our big day out! And, yes we did talk about it being D-Day and the significance of that hallowed day. They will never be allowed to forget our history.

With the Benjamin, Johnny up first, then Sully:

Two future hunters with their .22s. Sully has some work to do with his "trigger discipline" (but again of course, those rifles were unloaded at the time) and I'll be keeping an eye on developing that skill. :grin:

Turtle hunters:

Johnny Huerta, the Frisco "Splendid Splinter" of little league fame, doing the driving:

And Sullivan Brantley, the future scientist from Smithville, taking a turn around the pasture:

They tell us that when they're older (much older than they expect!), they'll hunt deer out there, cut 'em up and grill them with some beers!
Oy vey. I'd like to live long enough to see that. :grin:

I do kinda like them
. :lol:
LyleW
Admin

Re: My grandsons drivin' and shootin' on D-Day

Post by LyleW »

Great times!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks like a fun time was had by all! As they get bigger, you may want to work on their shooting stances as well 😉
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

LyleW wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:10 pmGreat times!
You got that right, Lyle! :grin:
Stikpusher wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:03 pm Looks like a fun time was had by all! As they get bigger, you may want to work on their shooting stances as well 😉
Yes sir, correct on both counts! They did have some trouble addressing the rifles, I told them to be patient, their arms are growing everyday. I remember having my first "real" rifle at 11. It was a Mossberg New Haven semi-auto .22 and I remember my uncle telling me not to lean back when I shot it. My arms grew long enough at last! :grin:

Hey, look who showed up! Me, in 1963 or '64, with that Mossie:

keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looks like a great time. I was about that age when I got my first real gun as well. Similar to your garden rifles - single shot, bolt action .22 Sears brand.

Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

We had a ball, John! :grin: Yes, that's very much like our lil' rifles-that's a good way to start. Your rifle looks like it's in great shape, do you still have it? :cool:

Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

Very cool,looks like he's having a blast
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I still have it. Great shooting little gun - love the sights.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Fun times.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Tojo72 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:59 pm Very cool,looks like he's having a blast
Yeah Tony, both those guys had a great time, and so did ol' Grandad! :grin:
keavdog wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:14 pm I still have it. Great shooting little gun - love the sights.
I'm happy to hear that, John. I know it's full of great memories and deserves a place in your family history! :shoutout:
BlackSheep214 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:39 pm Fun times.
You are so right, Tom! :cool:

Return to “Free Discussion”