Grossdeutschland Panther A

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

Grossdeutschland Panther A

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, here I go again, kicking off another build, while still so many more are not yet completed.

This is Italeri’s 1993 vintage 1/35 Panther A. I’ve had it in my stash since it was a new release, and am finally getting around to building it. I started the build yesterday at the AZ AMPS meeting, and made pretty rapid progress so far before reaching where I need to start doing some paint work.

I was able to get most of the lower hull, and running gear built

The kit even includes a basic engine compartment, although I will not deep dive into this one as I did on my M47 from 2021

and I was also able to get the insert area for the driver and bow machine gunner built and installed

the kit comes with alternative pre made zimmerit parts, but they are a bit thick, so I will be thinning those down before installing those. The next update will be after some painting, and getting those items taken care of…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Grossdeutschland Panther A

Post by keavdog »

Wow, in the stash for 30 years! High time she made the bench. Looking forward to this build - great progress BTW
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks John. I have a few kits in my stash for a bit longer, but those are all aircraft and Christmas gifts from my last Christmas at home with my parents... I think that there are four of those kits left...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Damn that's an old kit. I'm sure you'll do it justice Stik!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

It wasn’t when I bought it… :giggles: Funny thing is, this was a huge improvement over the ancient Tamiya Panther A, and was the best game in town until Dragon started having a go at the Panther family and did their own A.

And yes, I will do my best to do this kit justice.

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nice subject...
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Tom. Ya gotta love those German big cats. :wink:

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well yesterday was our monthly AZ AMPS meet, build, and BS session. I figured that I hadn't worked on this one in awhile, so I brought it along to work on.

My main area of focus was the turret, so I built the main areas of turret, couple, mantlet, and gun tube...

I'm using this kit's zimmerit parts, although Italeri neglected to put the zimmerit on the sides of the trunnion points behind the mantlet, so I'll need to add some there on my own.

Here is a test fit rear quarter view with the cupola and gun tube in place

I need to thin down the kit zimmerit turret sides with my Dremel before I glue those in place, as it is way too thick as molded...

One of the critiques of this kit is that the base of the turret sits too high as molded and leaves a noticeable gap against the hull top deck. So I sanded down the turret bottom part to sit higher inside the sides to remove that aspect...

and I also added most of the parts to the hull rear... I didn't like the kit jack that stows between the exhaust pipes, so I'm gonna replace it with a better one from my spares bin....

more to come soon...

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Coming along nicely Stik!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

keavdog wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:22 pm Wow, in the stash for 30 years! High time she made the bench. Looking forward to this build - great progress BTW
Thanks John. I still have a handful of aircraft kits that have been in my stash even longer, all from my parents for my last Christmas where they gave me models as gifts when I was 18.

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”