Monogram De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-Silver wings!

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Monogram De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-Silver wings!

Post by Gary Brantley »

I started a new aircraft build yesterday. It's one that's been in my stash for many years, the old 1/48 Monogram Mosquito. My instructions show a latest copyright date of 1992 and the earliest shown is 1965. The kit is famous (uh, notorious?) for its main flaws; a tail fin that's too tall and a fuselage that's too narrow, not to mention the rather atrocious cockpit. I've decided that I want to build a model as quickly as I can manage and without any modification at all. I really need a good, old OOB build that can be finished in a timely manner and this Mosquito seems to be a fair candidate. The main issues I anticipate are the multi-paned canopy and the attachment of the main gear. It appears that they will need to be installed from above, before building the wing and attaching it to the fuselage, like those on my AMT Tigercat had to be done. Somewhere along the way, years ago, I did start this one by cutting off the bomber nose and opening the main gear bays. I swear, I don't even remember doing that so it must've been a long time ago! :grin:

Yesterday, I sprayed some interior green, aluminum for the gear legs, and primed the tires/wheels. Oh, and due to the very sparse cockpit accommodations, this one will feature an aircrew.

One can see the bomb/pylon halves there too. They haven't been started yet.

Gear doors and hinges:

wing and fuselage green areas:

Tires/wheels:

The aircrew, primed in white for now. They will next get a coat of flat black, followed by a white "highlight" coat, then colors!

One dude has a nasty stomach wound that will need patching up! :grin: Do those guys look Hebrew to you?

Some small bits:

Main landing gear:

Everything painted so far will need weathering and detail painting next. The instrument panel is primed in white for the first step in finishing it:

I've decided on a paint scheme for this Mossie but I'm still trying to round up the appropriate decals. To prevent spending any additional money on decals, I can probably cobble-up something out the decal spares box.

The copyright date stamped inside the wing half:

Hang in there for some more progress soon! Thanks for your interest and let me hear from ya! :grin:
Last edited by Gary Brantley on Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Stikpusher

Re: Monogram De Havilland Mosquito FB VI

Post by Stikpusher »

Good start on this classic Gary! The color call outs are mistaken for a 418 Sqdron FB.VI. The colors should be Medium Sea Gey and Dark Green over Black (1943), or with Medium Sea Grey undersides and Medium Sea Geay/Dark Green upper surfaces (1944/1945). Also the vertical tails should be solid Medium Sea Grey.

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

All right Gary! Great looking airplane - I have the Tamiya kit in the stash. This will be fun to watch.
Thanks,
John
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I, too, have the Tamiya Mossie in my stash as well.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Stikpusher wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:35 pm Good start on this classic Gary! The color call outs are mistaken for a 418 Sqdron FB.VI. The colors should be Medium Sea Gey and Dark Green over Black (1943), or with Medium Sea Grey undersides and Medium Sea Geay/Dark Green upper surfaces (1944/1945). Also the vertical tails should be solid Medium Sea Grey.

Thanks, Carlos! And, thanks for the colour corrections too, but that's not my chosen scheme. :grin:
keavdog wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:57 pm All right Gary! Great looking airplane - I have the Tamiya kit in the stash. This will be fun to watch.
Thanks, John! They are beautiful aircraft; I'm giving this one the "express" approach and no scratch-building whatsoever. We'll see how that goes-it's been many a year since I did a strict OOB build. :grin:
BlackSheep214 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:26 pm I, too, have the Tamiya Mossie in my stash as well.
Tom, I'm sure the Tamiya kit puts this old chestnut to shame. You should give yours a try. :grin:
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I'm a big fan of OOB. Painting and decaling are my favorite steps.
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Gary Brantley wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:42 pm

Thanks, Carlos! And, thanks for the colour corrections too, but that's not my chosen scheme. :grin:
The plot thickens… 🤨
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

keavdog wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:35 pm I'm a big fan of OOB. Painting and decaling are my favorite steps.
Yeah, that's when the model actually begins looking like the subject. I agree, those are my favorite parts of a build too, John. I've been trying to recall when I did last build a true OOB build, with no modifications to the kit. Lol, well, after giving it some thought, I was gonna say it was the last airplane model I built! :lol: Damn this old age! Then I remembered that I used some added wiring and PE harnesses for this big boy that disqualifies it:

Man, I guess it might've been this hoary old kit, the ancient ex-Hawk Testors Me-163 Komet, from back in 1989:

Now, that's going back a while! :grin: But, damn, I noticed the canon barrels I added to that one! Nope-not OOB!

Geez, is it my second model back? Way back to 1988 we go then with this Revell F4-E!

Gotta post an update-This has caused some pondering here and I believe that other than AM decals on the 101, and some pinstriping tape around the canopy on the F5, these are OOB too and built in the early-mid 90s:

So, yeah, I guess it has been a long time since a true OOB build. That's about to change! :grin:
Stikpusher wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:05 pm
Gary Brantley wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:42 pm

The plot thickens… 🤨
Indeed. :grin: I've left a clue though... :whistle: :grin:
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very cool! Can't wait to see the build. :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Medicman71 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:36 pm Very cool! Can't wait to see the build. :shoutout:
:P1:

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”