Takom 1/35 Mk. IV Heavy Battle Tank "Male"" / "Female"

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
LyleW
Admin

Takom 1/35 Mk. IV Heavy Battle Tank "Male"" / "Female"

Post by LyleW »

I thought I had started a thread on this one. Gues not. That is usually the jinx for me....Anyway, this is for the Bullitt County History Museum at some point.

My first Takom kit and it isn't bad. Pretty straight forward. IF you read and follow directions. My productive time at the bench is only around an hour or so at a time these days. Too much on my mind.

Here is the stuff:

A somewhat odd hull construction...at least to me.

It took forever, but the road wheels are "done". Or, as done as I will get them. Took me forever these days. Now, is the fun stuff of trying to get the outer side to go on and the tracks done only 92 pieces per side.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Re: Takom 1/35 Mk. IV Heavy Battle Tank "Male"" / "Female"

Post by Stikpusher »

Very neat subject Lyle! I’ll certainly follow this one!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Never done a wwi armor piece but I think they look pretty impressive. Man... look at all those road wheels :headslap:
I have been looking at the Renault FT17.
Following along Lyle.
Thanks,
John
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks for following along. I think there are 27 sets on each side. Getting all those to fall into place looks to be a nightmare.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

O WAH TA FU LIE AM O WAH TA FU LIE AM O WAH TA FU LIE AM O WAH TA FU LIE AM

Okay, I get having details and having most thing that are supposed to move, do that...move. a Couople of years ago, I stopped sitting on the floor playing tanks and rollng them around. I've spent about two weeks assembling, installing, fitting and, yes, losing some road wheels. I am shakey enough that I don't like to spend any time on stuff that will not be seen, other than if it is needed for bracing, structure, etc. Hidden detail for hidden detail's sake is a waste.

This is the Kentucky Cousin version - missing a tooth or two.

And this is what will be seen....

Since it will likel not be a toy that has to have tracks that move, I'll likely only install a few sets and then only the pins/axles for the rest to fill the holes. Sheesh. Same for the chain drive. Best looking chain I've ever done. Gone forever.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Lyle, be happy that it is not an AFV Club or Miniart kit… :headslap: or one of the other plethora of Chinese companies that like to over engineer their kits. Man that sure is a beauty of a kit. Watching this build of yours so far is very bad for me, and making me fight the urge to expand my armor collection to include WWI subjects… :shutup:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Carlos, It is a, nice kit. I’m sure the fit is great, since it went together (so far) for me.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

All of those tiny road wheels remind me of a Churchill or Matilda tank. :hmm: You’re doing perfectly fine with this one Lyle.

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks. It has not bee.n really problematic for me, save one small assy on the top. I removed it and will study it more closely. Also learning to read more closely…. :whiteflag:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I've been wanting to try my hand at a WW1 tank. Never understood male / female WW1 tanks.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”