CB's Aircraft Archives

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: CB's Aircraft Archives

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice!!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

cbaltrin wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:44 am
Stikpusher wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:06 pm Oh definitely completed photos! She’s a real beauty and different angle shots to show her off more would be great. 😉

Tom, I’ll bed Red Dog 1-11 went the same way of Scat 1 thru 26, Glamourous Glenn 1&2, or all the various iterations of Old Crow…
Thanks Stik! I could only find one other decent photo. I added it to my OP.
I just saw it… You have a real beauty there, and your photos are great as well!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Well, I have a display case full of dust covered models. Apparently, when you have display case the dust problem is not solved, you just get much finer dust, that take much longer to build up... So here is one of them. It's a Tamiya P-51D I build about 15 years ago. I took it out of the case and gently washed it with distilled water and dish detergent... Came out ok except I lost part of the "W" on the tail...
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Interesting that you actually wash your older builds with soap & water, rather than simply dust them off.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Dusting might be a better option. I might try it on the next contestant... how do you dust yours w/o breaking stuff off? I might get one of those big makeup brushed at the dollar store and try that...
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Chris, taking all my models out of the cabinets and dusting them is always a nerve-wracking deal and because of that, it's not done too often. But when the dust gets really visible on the glass shelves, I know it's time. I normally use two bristle brushes, one is about 1/2" and the other is an inch or so and I use them to gently brush away the dust. I doubt it cleans as efficiently as washing them. Some of them might lend themselves easier to that method; others I feel would have too many little doodads sticking out. You know what? It's almost time for another dedusting treatment from the look of those shelves! :wink: :grin:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I have a couple of brushes that I use for dusting off my models. One is for the larger areas and resembles something like a lens brush for a camera. For smaller areas I use a couple paint brushes of around #7 size to get into corners, crevices, or around certain projecting items. My shelves have no glass doors, so it’s maybe once a year or so that I need to work my way thru them dusting off the builds. I use Gary’s method gauge of when the dust on the shelves looks rather noticeable. Here in AZ, the dust is extremely fine, so it take a while to build up, as opposed to where we were in CA where dust particles were large, almost like laundry lint.

FLSM
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Thankyou for the advice Gary & Carlos. Dusting is definitely one thing I never considered when getting into the hobby. I just love to build and after that I figure I'm done :bag: I figured they would be safe inside an enclosed display case, but after being proved wrong, I pondered the situation, and besides having a small gap in the door, what about atmospheric changes causing air to be pushed in and pulled back out constantly? :lashed:

I do have a set of models that don't nee dusting though, they are in big , three foot long Tupperware "under the bed" storage containers. As much as folks look at my models, I may need to invest in a few more of those.... :hmm:
Stikpusher wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:32 am I have a couple of brushes that I use for dusting off my models. One is for the larger areas and resembles something like a lens brush for a camera. For smaller areas I use a couple paint brushes of around #7 size to get into corners, crevices, or around certain projecting items. My shelves have no glass doors, so it’s maybe once a year or so that I need to work my way thru them dusting off the builds. I use Gary’s method gauge of when the dust on the shelves looks rather noticeable. Here in AZ, the dust is extremely fine, so it take a while to build up, as opposed to where we were in CA where dust particles were large, almost like laundry lint.
Gary Brantley wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:06 am Chris, taking all my models out of the cabinets and dusting them is always a nerve-wracking deal and because of that, it's not done too often. But when the dust gets really visible on the glass shelves, I know it's time. I normally use two bristle brushes, one is about 1/2" and the other is an inch or so and I use them to gently brush away the dust. I doubt it cleans as efficiently as washing them. Some of them might lend themselves easier to that method; others I feel would have too many little doodads sticking out. You know what? It's almost time for another dedusting treatment from the look of those shelves! :wink: :grin:

cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

This Monogram Razorback rolled off the assembly line back in 2017. I dropped the elevators, retrofitted the guns, and replaced the canopy with an Otaki version, after crushing the brittle kit part.
Who does not like a Razorback?

Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

That's a handsome Jug, Chris! :shoutout:

Return to “Member's Gallery”