Empire of the Rising Sun Group Build

Member created Group Builds
Stikpusher

Re: Empire of the Rising Sun Group Build

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Chris. I've been wanting to do that scheme for ages. Not sure if I should hand brush the camo or airbrush it on. Hard to tell from photos how the ground crews did it.

Last night I finished up the seat, sanding off the seat pan bottom and replacing that with some sheet styrene, plus adding a low back support beam

then I glued that in place on the cockpit floor

and this morning I've been working on adding the tops of the now depend wheel wells

My next step is modifying fuselage areas at the forward portion of the wing roots affected by the deepened wheel wells. And I'll be able to start painting the cockpit soon too.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Great start on a cool subject Carlos!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Stuart! I'm setting this aside for a few days to work on the figures for my Panther... :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Stikpusher wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:20 pm Thanks Stuart! I'm setting this aside for a few days to work on the figures for my Panther... :whistle:
Blasphemy :bored:
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I've been having issues with my main computer but I have now a report on the Rufe, it is well underway. I have built 3 of these Hasegawa kits before and this one will be fine when it's done but it has been more trouble than the others to get good fits. The Rufe fuselage halves are different to accommodate a ventral strake and bigger fin/rudder and the lower wing is also a new part as there are no wheel wells, but there are spots to add the central float pylon and struts. When I first started fitting things together there was a furrowed brow for awhile, but with various nudges and squeezes everything eventually fit as well as any of the others, almost. I had to force the cockpit module in to the fuselage, which I have never had to do before, and let it cure up good before more work. The lower aft fuselage wanted to argue about coming together so I wrapped it real tight with tape while it cured. The wing fit looked like a mess everywhere, so I glued the upper wings to the fuselage first and clamped them with some flanges on the bottom and let them cure. There was a little sliver of a gap on the right wing root but a bit of Tamiya putty fixed that. When I fit the lower wing half to the uppers they had to be glued in small spots, averaging out the fits, but to my surprise when I was done there was goodness in the land, and all were joyous.
However, there was still some questions about the fit of the float gear, as the fit of the pylon to the fuselage was loose and not at all even on top. Careful gluing and nudging before the glue set got it straight, I think, but the little struts in the back had an approximate fit and needed a little filler. Quite likely a little more care when fitting the main pylon to the wing might make that better, and next time I will attach those struts to the float first as the depression where those struts fit on the bottom of the wing are much deeper than those on the floats and might hide some fit issues, if there are any after the float pylon issue is addressed better. There is no separate part for the carburetor intake on this kit as there is on the others, it is molded as part of the lower wing. By minimizing the gap at the aft wing to fuselage join there was a slight mismatch on the front which I fixed with a little sanding, and also by not trying to get a good tight fit on the ring the engine mounts on. Spreading it open on the bottom improved the sideways fit on the forward wing root around the oil cooler area. As you will see I did not neglect to put 16 grams of shot in the nose of the float, held in by dams of Aves Epoxyclay and a thorough soaking with RC 560 canopy glue. The kit comes with a nice dolly to display the model, but I think I also see one of those Tamiya Kubota crawler tractors to go with it. The cowl is attached to the engine, and it is the back of the engine that holds the assembly to the fuselage. That makes it possible to thin the back edges of the cowl flaps to a nice edge.

Every time I look at this box art I wonder why all those B-24 gunners are asleep!

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Very nice work there John!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

jeaton01 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:26 pm I've been having issues with my main computer but I have now a report on the Rufe, it is well underway. I have built 3 of these Hasegawa kits before and this one will be fine when it's done but it has been more trouble than the others to get good fits. The Rufe fuselage halves are different to accommodate a ventral strake and bigger fin/rudder and the lower wing is also a new part as there are no wheel wells, but there are spots to add the central float pylon and struts. When I first started fitting things together there was a furrowed brow for awhile, but with various nudges and squeezes everything eventually fit as well as any of the others, almost. I had to force the cockpit module in to the fuselage, which I have never had to do before, and let it cure up good before more work. The lower aft fuselage wanted to argue about coming together so I wrapped it real tight with tape while it cured. The wing fit looked like a mess everywhere, so I glued the upper wings to the fuselage first and clamped them with some flanges on the bottom and let them cure. There was a little sliver of a gap on the right wing root but a bit of Tamiya putty fixed that. When I fit the lower wing half to the uppers they had to be glued in small spots, averaging out the fits, but to my surprise when I was done there was goodness in the land, and all were joyous.
However, there was still some questions about the fit of the float gear, as the fit of the pylon to the fuselage was loose and not at all even on top. Careful gluing and nudging before the glue set got it straight, I think, but the little struts in the back had an approximate fit and needed a little filler. Quite likely a little more care when fitting the main pylon to the wing might make that better, and next time I will attach those struts to the float first as the depression where those struts fit on the bottom of the wing are much deeper than those on the floats and might hide some fit issues, if there are any after the float pylon issue is addressed better. There is no separate part for the carburetor intake on this kit as there is on the others, it is molded as part of the lower wing. By minimizing the gap at the aft wing to fuselage join there was a slight mismatch on the front which I fixed with a little sanding, and also by not trying to get a good tight fit on the ring the engine mounts on. Spreading it open on the bottom improved the sideways fit on the forward wing root around the oil cooler area. As you will see I did not neglect to put 16 grams of shot in the nose of the float, held in by dams of Aves Epoxyclay and a thorough soaking with RC 560 canopy glue. The kit comes with a nice dolly to display the model, but I think I also see one of those Tamiya Kubota crawler tractors to go with it. The cowl is attached to the engine, and it is the back of the engine that holds the assembly to the fuselage. That makes it possible to thin the back edges of the cowl flaps to a nice edge.

Every time I look at this box art I wonder why all those B-24 gunners are asleep!
Nice work John. You are about as far along on your Hasegawa Rufe as I am on my Tamiya Rufe (I'll post an update soon). Those are nice markings on the box-top -- are you planning on doing that scheme?
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Here is the current state of CB's Rufe. Dealing with some putty work on the float and wing join areas...
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Awaiting for replacement wing pieces from Tamiya. Spilled some liquid glue on it and melted the details away. :headbang:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Sorry to hear that!

Return to “Member Group Builds”