Masters of the Air

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Stikpusher

Re: Masters of the Air

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:49 pm :hmm: That's interesting, I'd not read that. Obviously I've not seen it so I can't really comment, other than I know it got some stick. As I said, I don't do pay for view TV so I'm unlikely to see it - but then I've not seen Band of Brothers either (I really should).
Seriously?! That series came out in 2001! I’d highly recommend you rent it at least once to see it. Have you seen “The Pacific”? If you haven’t that’s another one worth checking out.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I've watched BoB and The Pacific many times
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I've enjoyed it. I don't think that it could be like BoB or The Pacific. I think the aircrews had a different personally dynamic than grunts do. I do have one problem with it though. Since when did 109's fire missiles? I've been told it was rockets but rockets don't turn toward a target like missiles do.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh definitely different personality dynamics than paratroopers. All of the central characters so far in Masters are officers… in Brothers and The Pacific, there are a lot more enlisted troops. A very different level of education and backgrounds for them. Of course their roles in war are completely different.

The rockets fired by the Luftwaffe fighters were essentially the same as used by the Nebelwerfer multiple rocket launchers. They do arc in their flight path, but have no seeker to home in on a target. That would not be invented for another decade.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

If only B-17's had flares and chaff to defend against "rockets".
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well they did have flares for signaling purposes… :wink: Chaff came along in summer 1943 during the Hamburg raids.

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:34 pm
BlackSheep214 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:23 pm But hey... I have the book though. :lashed:
Isn’t the book about the whole 8th Air Force? Not strictly about the 100th Bomb Group?

The book...

“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Ughhhhhh... I'd like to see some history not a romance novel... this is getting terrible.
Thanks,
John
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Not me. I can' get into any of these modern Movies/Shows/Series...
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Been watching it, been enjoying it.
Spoilers ahead?
There were 2 scenes that i was really disappointed in.
The first, when Biddick crash landed in Scotland. That CGI plane looked awful. It didn't move right, it didn't reflect the sun right, the lighting on the overall model didn't match the environment. It looked terrible and i was utterly disappointed.
The second was when they landed in Africa, the same issue. Whoever was in charge of the post processing on that CGI missed a couple steps.
So far that, and as others have said the compression of the timelines are my only complaints.
Otherwise im really enjoying it.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Return to “Free Discussion”