A "Rhode Island Red" Y-Wing.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: A "Rhode Island Red" Y-Wing.

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I got find me some sci fi egg kits. I wonder if they have the Millenium Falcon, Boba Fett's ship, Star Trek Enterprise and Klingon ships.....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

Contrary to how it looks so far, I'm not THAT up on what egg sci-fi is available, personally. If FB links are allowed, here's where my sci-fi came from.

Folks in charge, if this ain't allowed, please, get rid of it. It is NOT spam.

https://www.facebook.com/JPG.Modelkits/photos_albums

To find out what he has BlackSheep, go to the picture and there are albums inside. The fella that owns all that is Jimi Glancy. Find something you like, message him. I am acquainted with him, can vouch for his service, but you won't get any special favors if you say "Rob sent you". I know him and he knows me. That's it. I just sent him money. We were instantly friends.

Rob.
Right on the edge... so don't push.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

That's really cool. I haven't seen those either. Very cool.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

If I may...? One tip here folks for any that may check into anything I've posted. Try to stick to that facebook link and speak to JPG directly. You will be talking to the man who puts these out and he'll talk. The reason I say this is, he sent me that Y-Wing for free when I bought the Cylon Raider. I don't know if he's still doing that (I know another fella on RPF who also got both), but I have seen that Y-Wing for sale on another website (Tyridium Models for sure) and they want 30 GBP!!! At the moment, that's almost $40.00 US. Now, before anyone considers paying that, it AIN'T worth 40 bucks. I like it. It should make a decent model and oughta look alright when done, and I am certainly not knocking JPG Productions in any way, but you might find it on the web and it IS NOT $40.00 bucks worth. The whole thing is only about 4" X 4" and does have flaws.

I gave Jimi $20.00 for the Cylon Raider (which is possibly a little much for what that is actually... maybe) and he threw in the Y-Wing. Well worth it after that.

Of course, it's not up to me to say what ANYONE interested in some of this can or can't do, but we are dealing with aftermarket items with these and I would have been upset had I paid $40. I'll explain a little in this build thread.

Rob.
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

Alrighty then, I may as well start posting something I started this thread for huh? We're 2 pages in and I ain't built nothin' yet.

I have a Moebius Battlestar Galactica Viper "Superdeformed " kit (Moebius can't say "egg", that's a Hasegawa exclusive) that I've been working on. The Viper is from the NEW series, which was never my favorite and why I went with the "egg" kit on this one. During that build, I found out there was a Cylon Raider in egg form available and figured these would go well together. Found out where and ordered one.

The subject of this thread, I got as a "bonus" when I was sent that Cylon Raider and it has turned out to be my favorite, so I stopped all that Galactica crap and started working on this Y-Wing. As usual, I wanted to add a little more detail here and there to more closely match some of the detail on the studio Y-Wings from Star Wars. This is an egg-plane type model, so can never be studio accurate, but I did want to add a few jiggles and sqiggles here and there and try and spruce it up, or as usual, more than likely ruin the whole thing.

Here's a couple pictures I stole off JPG's page to show what comes in the box and what it would look like just put together. This is not my kit and I don't know who built it to display on JPG's site, but all the flaws and misalignment concerns you can see on that one are there on mine too, so this is what you would get. It is a garage kit, but I'm one of those that say that's not an excuse. To me, garage kits should be BETTER than boxed kits. Not just a money grab.

Anyway, look:

Rob.
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

Per my normal, looking at some of the studio models, this forward section/head needed some panel lines.

I used some of this as some reference. These came from the site Modelers Magic for credit where credit is due and I don't know if these are an actual studio model or someone's replica, but will be fine for my non-studio build:

Loosely going by that, I scribed some lines up and down, in and out and all around and ended up with this. Now, I know this is a "toon" type Y-Wing, but I think it looks a little better with these lines. Y'all's milage may vary? I also cleaned up the provided canopy somewhat and along with the scribe lines, you'll see that canopy before I went to the trouble to clean it completely. Here, also, is one of the things that come up from time to time with resin type models. Scribing lines in resin can expose tiny pin holes, which this did. That throws the flow of the scribe off a little and some of my lines ain't perfect. To make it a little worse, this resin is very chalky, so I had to take care as I was doing this as best I could. Still, it is what it is.

Now... I didn't like the kit original canopy. Even though a toon build, I just didn't like it, so I made another one. I may get differing opinions here for doing that, but, it's done. I like this one better. I just do.

Rob.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nice modification…. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Beautiful photos of the studio model or whatever it may happen to be! Still my favorite ship from the original trilogy... closely followed by the Blockade Runner and TIE Bomber... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

Stikpusher wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:51 pm Beautiful photos of the studio model or whatever it may happen to be! Still my favorite ship from the original trilogy... closely followed by the Blockade Runner and TIE Bomber... :hmm:
If you would like more, try this Mr. Stikpusher.

https://modelermagic.com/for-sale-jason ... llesteros/

I do believe they came from this site. Not all Jason Eaton's, but this site has plenty. In fact, now that I go back to look for you a link, that blue one is a replica, but I'm sure I can't go wrong following that.

Anyone else reading any of this, If I have reference material that anyone thinks they need, I have no problem sharing anything I got. I may not have what you need, but I just might. Don't hesitate to ask.

Rob.
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

Next on the list was to to drill some torpedo tubes under that nose and add a few chips of styrene squares all over the place (from one of the studio scale Y-Wings I just randomly chose from the web because there are no 2 the same). I cleaned up a few things and filled a couple of those pinholes mentioned earlier. To do that, I've been slightly drilling them with the old pin vice and using the support strands from the printed parts that came with this. Some of the parts seen in the "What's in the box" pictures earlier show that there are a few that have been printed and a couple were still attached to the bed supports (or whatever y'all call 'em?) since they more closely match the consistency of the resin parts the bulk of the ship is made from. Seems to work fairly well and later sands pretty good.

Now, for another point with this model. The resin this is made from is not a normal resin, at least it certainly doesn't seem that way to me. I could be wrong, but this stuff is VERY much like a hard chalk? I'm not sure what it is, but the closest thing I've ever encountered to this was that old GRP the WARP Eagle was made from. The reason I bring this up is that I would assume some would want to know overall impressions of this kit. As I said before, it's not as much a complaint as it is just to let folks know. The point being, when you get close to edges with things like X-Acto's and sanding, you have to be careful that you don't knock a chip out. I hope y'all know what I'm describing because that's about the best I can do.

Having fixed up any exposed pinholes I can see, there was also a fair seam line right down the middle of the parts that needed to be smoothed, the worst of this was on that back half because it runs all through those humps and bumps. It's not super mis-aligned, so just picks, X-Acto's and a tiny scraper took care of it fairly well.

Now, what I did to the decoration. I cut those torpedo tubes I mentioned earlier on the underside of the cockpit. The R2 (R5-R6-R7, whichever one it's suppose to be) was made to just stick to a hump where the R2 hole would be in the Y-Wing.

As seen here:

I didn't like that and since I made a new canopy, he woulda stuck up 4 foot above the Y-Wing PLUS he wasn't even in a proper R2 hole? How, is he supposed to ride, not in a hole??? So I chopped a hole for him in the model. I then added a few more details all over the place, for better or worse.

I also made some of the kit parts you see on the studio model since this kit is sorely lacking some detail.

Chips. Roll bars too! I say roll bars, but maybe they's bumpers? I don't know, but they on the studio, so I bent some wire.

Rob.

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”