Tamiya 1/48 P-38F

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Re: Tamiya 1/48 P-38F

Post by Gary Brantley »

I am so glad to read this post, Stuart. :grin: Just like yourself, I've had several really good kits stashed away that I had heard so much about or had seen online, as you mentioned, that looked so great, I felt I just couldn't do the kit justice. The Tamiya Tomcat is one and the Hasegawa Raptor is another and I've come close to buying that P-38 kit many times as well. I thought that waiting would let my skill set sort of "catch up".

But now, I really don't think I'm improving much at all and at 71, I can't afford to wait further. So, your restart on this is a great inspiration for me to get off my *ss and do something about those kits that taunt me from the stash. :grin:

I am stoked so much to see you work your magic on that bird! :bow: I'm looking forward to seeing your progress, my friend!
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:35 am
Stuart wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:24 am

What's the issue Lyle?
Mostly, ME....I cannot get a good scan to then cut the masks from the item they nclude. I had one, but i cannot locate it. The kit goes together very easily. IF you follow directions and don't guess as to what is next. ask me how i know.
Could you brush paint the frames, clean them up with a cocktail stick and add them to the rest of the build after paint?

lol! I'll keep that in mind - it does look very complicated.
Gary Brantley wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:37 am I am so glad to read this post, Stuart. :grin: Just like yourself, I've had several really good kits stashed away that I had heard so much about or had seen online, as you mentioned, that looked so great, I felt I just couldn't do the kit justice. The Tamiya Tomcat is one and the Hasegawa Raptor is another and I've come close to buying that P-38 kit many times as well. I thought that waiting would let my skill set sort of "catch up".

But now, I really don't think I'm improving much at all and at 71, I can't afford to wait further. So, your restart on this is a great inspiration for me to get off my *ss and do something about those kits that taunt me from the stash. :grin:

I am stoked so much to see you work your magic on that bird! :bow: I'm looking forward to seeing your progress, my friend!
That's exactly what I mean Gary - I have a few kits that I'm far to scared to start incase I 'mess them up' or 'Don't do them justice' - I'm just going to get on and build them - If I'm happy with them that's all that matters!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stuart wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:13 am Could you brush paint the frames, clean them up with a cocktail stick and add them to the rest of the build after paint?
Not with any success…I just ordered. Set from Eduard….
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Good idea! A pre-cut set would be much easier!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”