Well, that was close....

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
LyleW
Admin

Well, that was close....

Post by LyleW »

We just got a call from our daughter. Kimberly has two special needs kiddos. One has a rigid evening potty routine that takes some time due to the Spina Bifida). You also have to know that the neighbors on the right are, shall we say, unique. This isn't an affluent area, so I'm sure these folks don't have a lot.

These neighbors caught their garage on fire last night. With no setback requirements, there is only about 18" between their garage and Kim's property line. Maybe an additional 12" or so to the wooden privacy fence around here yard. That side of her house is vinyl siding.

The reason the potty issue is important? It takes around 30-60 minutes to complete. The bathroom is on the side of the house closest to their garage.

Good news is no one was hurt. My guess is the garage is a total loss. Kimberly has melted siding and I'm sure that the fence has damage as well. I will try to get some pictures later today when I go to pick up the grandson.

I guess to say, "It's always something." would be appropriate.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Well, that was close....

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Wow..

At least the insurance company should cover her siding damages
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I'm sure theirs will....I am urging Kim to let her insurance company know. I think it would be beneficial for her insurance to send out an adjuster. I am sure the fence will have significant damage as it was closer to the fire...but, plastic does melt more quickly, I guess.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank goodness that their house didn’t catch fire, and they are all well. I never thought about the flammability of vinyl siding until this story, but man, what a close call! Sounds like some fire & building codes need to changed in that area! Just curious, but any idea if the neighbors had converted their garage into some sort of detached living area? That was pretty common where I used to work.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

The siding did not catch fire, to my knowledge. Just melted, which I guess could lead to fire. Her house is less than two years old, so I am sure it is up to current codes. The neighbor’s house was likely built in the 70s, as were most all the houses on this street. My brother lived on this street in 1972.

It was a detached garage full of junk I think.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well, not as bad as was described…still bad enough. The bathroom Ella was in is just inside where the melted siding is. The fence is probably okay.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I’ve seen a couple houses in West Utica where they are too close next to each other. I’m talking wide enough for a person to walk between houses. I fear one of these days one of those houses will catch fire and next door house will not be spared.

I never understood why builders would put houses or garages so close to the their next door neighbor’s.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Man, that was close! I'm happy that it wasn't worse and nobody was hurt! Her house took a pretty good hit though. I hope her insurance come through for her!

Our house had siding installed back in the 1960s, long before we bought it of course. It sits on a corner and the house across the street to the South used to be an old frame house. Used to be because the old man who had lived there decided he would burn it down for some reason around 1968 or '69. Well, he poured gasoline throughout the old house and then, standing on the back steps, apparently threw a match into his kitchen. Kaboom! The house went up like a rocket and he did too. Finis! :wink: We heard about the fire and his death next morning on our local radio station. After school that day I drove by to check it out and noticed that most of the siding on what is now our home had melted! :grin:

And yes Lyle, it seems it is always something! I believe I may have a molar that's decayed (would be my 2nd cavity in 71 years) and will most likely need it removed, and for a month, I've had some funky, scaly-like spot on my left middle finger's nail, just at the base. It's gotten worse and today at dermatology; I was told they needed to biopsy the spot and that required removing the nail! Hijole!

With all I need to be working one, I really don't need to be nursing a sore finger for several weeks. But I guess I will. :sad:

It is always something... :hmm:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:22 pm I’ve seen a couple houses in West Utica where they are too close next to each other. I’m talking wide enough for a person to walk between houses. I fear one of these days one of those houses will catch fire and next door house will not be spared.

I never understood why builders would put houses or garages so close to the their next door neighbor’s.
Bra,cause setback and shaving in the development a,low it. Kimberly’s house was built on LHS last vacant lot in this subdivision. The rest were built in the mid-60s to early 70s. My brother actually bought a house in here in 72, I think. Didn’t stay long.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Gary Brantley wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:33 pm Man, that was close! I'm happy that it wasn't worse and nobody was hurt! Her house took a pretty good hit though. I hope her insurance come through for her!

Our house had siding installed back in the 1960s, long before we bought it of course. It sits on a corner and the house across the street to the South used to be an old frame house. Used to be because the old man who had lived there decided he would burn it down for some reason around 1968 or '69. Well, he poured gasoline throughout the old house and then, standing on the back steps, apparently threw a match into his kitchen. Kaboom! The house went up like a rocket and he did too. Finis! :wink: We heard about the fire and his death next morning on our local radio station. After school that day I drove by to check it out and noticed that most of the siding on what is now our home had melted! :grin:

And yes Lyle, it seems it is always something! I believe I may have a molar that's decayed (would be my 2nd cavity in 71 years) and will most likely need it removed, and for a month, I've had some funky, scaly-like spot on my left middle finger's nail, just at the base. It's gotten worse and today at dermatology; I was told they needed to biopsy the spot and that required removing the nail! Hijole!

With all I need to be working one, I really don't need to be nursing a sore finger for several weeks. But I guess I will. :sad:

It is always something... :hmm:
Tha,t is quite a story…another both counts.

Return to “Free Discussion”