Iwata NEO Dual Action airbrush

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Iwata NEO Dual Action airbrush

Post by BlackSheep214 »

What of it? Well.... I finally got around to trying it out for the first time since I bought it around 2012. Tested it on a mule kit. I asked myself, "What took ya so long to try it?!" I don't know. Too anxious to try, maybe? The complexity of using a dual AB? Perhaps it's the complexity or the lack of idea how to properly clean a dual AB? Possibly. But I finally tell myself I won't know until I try it. Alright then... it's sink or swim time. Try it I did...

Anyhow, I like the dual action AB. This will give me some confidence in doing camo schemes freehand.

I still have my Badger Patriot 105 Dual Action AB through a promotion from US Airbrush Company or something along that line a year after I got the Iwata NEO. So yeah... both sat in its original box/package all these years untouched/unmolested.

I'll still use my Paasche H single action for my usual airbrushing applications.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Iwata NEO Dual Action airbrush

Post by keavdog »

I've used a couple dual action brushes and super happy with the results (for mottling etc) but I'm an idiot :headslap: when it comes to cleaning I guess. I get 1 or 2 good experiences and then the brush won't function.
My Paasche H has done its job for 30 years. I run lacquer thinner through it after I'm done and it's ready to go next time.
I'm spooling up to do a bit of mottling on a FW-190 so we'll see......
Teach me please
Thanks,
John
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I've been using a dual action gravity feed for over 10 years. I think the clean up is a snap compared to siphon feed. Yes....there are more parts, but its not overly complex. My $50 NEO just started giving me some issues at the beginning of this year. I picked up a Ghaaleri, beautiful airbrush. I've never tried a multi hundred $ one to see the difference but what I have I like.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I guess one main reason Inever used it all these years is how to break it down for a complete cleaning session.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That can be a pita. I have a Neo, but prefer the Badger 105 for some reason. Just got the Badger back after an overhaul, so it is working perfectly. Me on the other hand, not so much!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Can you get gravity fed single actions?

I also have a Neo, although I've only used it the once.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

I have a NEO, a badger and a generic $20 amazon jobbie that came with my current compressor.
The badger is my favourite, but all of them work really really well surprisingly.
My only problematic one now is the cheapy. Its all i have access to at the moment, and im trying to spray Vallejo model air ghost grey and im getting horrible horrible tip dry. No other colours. Just that one.
The other 2 airbrushes are in a crate 12000km away. Hopefully shipping to me today?
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

My first airbrush was a Badger 200. Worst of both worlds, single action but internal mix. So the hassle of cleaning an internal mix with the control of single action. :headslap:

I then upgraded to a HS Ultra, bullet proof build quality, reasonable price and nice control. Easy to clean to. Nowadays I also have an HS Infinity with 0,15 needle. This is a superb airbrush for detail work and gives extraordinary control. But indeed a bit more hassle to clean.
I always fully clean (strip down) my airbrushes after each modelling session. I learned that the hard way when the needle of my Badger 200 became stuck with "just run thinner" cleaning. :bored:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Modeling Discussion”