FSM observations and why it’s happening

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

FSM observations and why it’s happening

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Just noticed that Fine Scale website is rated a 1.5 out of 5 stars from a simple search the other night. And still getting new members. :hmm:

I want to make one thing clear.. it’s not my intention to bash them. Instead, I’ve been noticing a trend over there. One thing I have noticed these last few years is their magazine isn’t what it used to be - thin, fewer articles, and still being charged ridiculous price for a magazine with less pages. I get it - some articles have gone digital. Some subscribers complain they’re not receiving digital copies as part of their subscription. I’ve also heard quite a few rumblings nobody is renewing their subscriptions for that reason plus they’re publishing the same old, same old techniques on weathering, detailing, painting, etc… I get it… it gets old eventually.

I wonder how long FSM will fold for good due to slumping magazine sales. Their forums are not as active as it used to be years ago - one being pop up ads are annoying for a few members. Some are leaving because of that reason. Some issues on their site are Error messages - 508 error messages. I guess the folks at FSM / Kalmbach are telling folks to install an Adblocker of sorts instead of fixing the problem themselves. Seems to be a couple of die hards are posting stuff mindless stuff just to keep it going. Almost like beating a dead horse. Again, these are all noticeable observations and trends currently happening at FSM.

What are you’re thoughts and feelings of these observations.

It’s sad FSM isn’t what it used to be anymore - a place where fellow hobbyists used to hang out, give advice/help fellow hobbyists and have fun before other hobby forum sites became a better place to go to.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: FSM observations and why it’s happening

Post by keavdog »

I still visit the site. Performance is problematic and there's less than 10 posts a day so, not much to read. I didn't renew my subscription after they reduced the number of issues but delivered digital issues which were great. Then they pulled the digital issues. We'll see how long they stay afloat before they go the way of Scale Auto magazine.
Thanks,
John
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I visit FSM as a guest (since I've been banned 3 times there) just to see what's going on there. I suspected that number of post is lower than that. I don't know. Even the Group Build thread os pretty dismal. I don't think they did the Secret Santa Build last year.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I see no reason to worry about those guys. Once in a great while, now, I’ll get on and look around. Got enough to worry about. I don’t have a subscription..nothing invested.

It is, however, Avery good example of what happens when a complete “corporate mentality “ takes over. Anytime that happens, days are numbered.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Post by Brandons_Iron »

I was the one doing the SSGB and I did not do it last year. Mostly due to nearly all members, not all, but most would sign up, send gift, open gift and bounce. Never saw them again. It turned into a gift exchange, and that's fine if that's what it is, but it was supposed to be a GB and it started to fail at that, so I stopped doing it. We had two or three good members I could count on to participate, but it really fell on its face the last few years. Keavdog was one I could count on and couple of others, everyone else just didn't seem to care. The whole site is pretty much like that now.
BrandonK

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

LyleW wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm I see no reason to worry about those guys. Once in a great while, now, I’ll get on and look around. Got enough to worry about. I don’t have a subscription..nothing invested.

It is, however, Avery good example of what happens when a complete “corporate mentality “ takes over. Anytime that happens, days are numbered.

I couldn’t agree more with your statement.

keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

The secret santa group builds were so fun. Bummer that it went south
Always appreciated you putting that together.
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

There’s no reason that you can’t do a Secret Santa thing here too… just like we did the Monogram Mafia here. I’m not a Secret Santa participant myself, but all it takes is people who want to partake… start putting out the feelers by late summer and see what happens.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

There was one SSGB eons ago. I believe before Brandon took over. Where I was unable to build it for the GB. I received a beautiful Tamiya P-51. Which languished in my stash for 15 years. Late last year I opened it and found a Hasegawa P-51K in a sealed box.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I don't go on FSM anywhere near as much as before. The ads are overpowering. And most of the other cool guys have moved on

Return to “Free Discussion”