AK Interactive Pgments help

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
LyleW
Admin

AK Interactive Pgments help

Post by LyleW »

Okay...working on painting the tracks for the Mk. IV Tank and the Dozer. This is one of the tracks from the tank and it has been:

primed with Duplicolor gray
sprayed with Mig Ammo A.Mig-0035 Dark Tracks
lightly oversprayed with AK Extreme Metal Steel

Pretty happy with it at this point. A nic patina. Now, I want to apply some rust.

Got this stuff, AK Interactive Track Rust Pigment.

I've never used this stuff. I knowthat it is brushed on and then a "fixer" is applied. Will a mat/flat clear coat work or do I need to get a product made as a fixer?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Tojo72
Master Member

Re: AK Interactive Pgments help

Post by Tojo72 »

I apply the pigments as you described and I use a Turpenoid to fix them,it's less harsh then the enamel fixer which could be too hot for some tracks.It fixes them pretty good,but you can't over handle them either.Dont overspray with flat as that will dissipate the pigment effect
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, Tony.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Tojo72 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:19 am I apply the pigments as you described and I use a Turpenoid to fix them,it's less harsh then the enamel fixer which could be too hot for some tracks.It fixes them pretty good,but you can't over handle them either.Dont overspray with flat as that will dissipate the pigment effect
Tony, is that Turp stuff brushed on or sprayed over the pigments?
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

I just dab it on with a brush it retains a more crumbly effect,if you swish the brush around,you will get more of a mud streak effect,depends on what your looking for
Last edited by Tojo72 on Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thought I had a small bottle of turpenoid, but I only have turpentine. I assume that (or mineral spirits) will work?
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

Yes it will,I'm just careful with turpentine,sometimes it can be too hot and eat thru paint,weaken glue joints,or stiffen tracks.
Just don't use too much or work it in too hard

Return to “Free Discussion”