FineScale Modeler magazine sold to Firecrown Media

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
cbaltrin
Master Member

FineScale Modeler magazine sold to Firecrown Media

Post by cbaltrin »

Not sure what this means, but there it is:
https://finescale.com/online-extras/202 ... rown-media
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Stikpusher

Re: FineScale Modeler magazine sold to Firecrown Media

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking at all of their other magazines, I would guess that FSM is outside of their wheelhouse and may be going away soon.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

And there it is... No surprise since it's been going downhill for the last few years. Magazine used to be great now dwindled down to a few pages filled with too many ads and old, stale articles. Nothing really appealing to buy anymore for the price they're charging per issue, let alone a yearly subscription. Even their monthly preview/review of new upcoming products has gone away. I did enjoy watching that.

Kalmbach knew the writing was on the wall long ago but refused to accept the reality that FSM isn't the same publication of yesteryear. It's their downfall for ignoring the impact of downsizing their magazine and whatnot to their loyal customers.

Their forums has become a joke with Aaron and Tim doing a terrible job moderating - banning or suspending members over meaningless trivial stuff. FSM should have gone away with their forums long ago. There was no point of keeping it going with only a couple folks posting mindless topics to keep the dead horse of a forum alive.

It will be interesting what Firecrown Media does with FSM as a magazine as a whole. No doubt they will look at the sales numbers and go from there.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

The wealth of available information on the web including technique videos, reviews, new releases etc has displaced the magazine. It is now a buggy whip.
Thanks,
John
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Kinda a deja vu of "Video Killed the Radio Star"...

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I often wonder how many issues of FSM Barnes & Nobles has sold per month. I imagine they don’t request a large number of issues to sell per month.

It will be a matter of time before magazines will be a thing of the past. There is a couple of aviation magazines I used to buy every month; one being FlyPast - a magazine publication out of the UK - loved the magazine (I still do today) but it is expensive around $13 USD per issue. Even their subscription is pricey. I haven’t bought FlyPast in a couple years since I now rarely go to Barnes & Nobles. The other magazine I can’t remember the title usually comes out quarterly. I haven’t seen it at B&N as of late.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Decided to take a peek to see any reaction of FSM sold to Firecrown Media. Yup… 4 responses regarding the sale. I think the members realize this will be the end of FSM as we know it. As Pawel pointed out - the new owners have 2 options, pull the plug on the forums or fix it. He honestly believes option 1 will be chosen budget-wise.

According to the Baron, he’s heard the news over at Hyperscale. I guess word gets around fast don’t it? :hmm:

jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

For what it is worth the forum is up and running a few minutes ago and is very fast.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Apparently, Firecrown Media, aka: Flying now own a variety of magazine publications...

https://firecrown.com/

keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

jeaton01 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:01 pm For what it is worth the forum is up and running a few minutes ago and is very fast.
Not any more... back to crawling and 504 errors.
Thanks,
John

Return to “Free Discussion”