Guillows 1/24 DHC-2 Beaver

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Guillows 1/24 DHC-2 Beaver

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Now she's starting to look like an aeroplane!! Nice job!!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thank you! Have you bought one yet?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nope. Haven’t even looked around for one yet.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

speedgraflex wrote:I did a quick internet peek to see if this was a known issue (dihedral) with the kit and it is. Usually what happens to modelers is one wing is higher than the other which Is not the case here. My instinct based on watching your prior builds is to advise you not to monkey around with this on the airframe but do a test with a good CA debonder on scraps of balsa to see if it is possible to release the areas affecting dihedral. If the debonder releases the CA hold easily you may have a solution. Still I advise caution here. Show the parts you have to carve for the float tips. I am curious to see those. Did you try Tower Hobbies for spare parts? Thanks in advance.
here you go....I cut the wing struts loose with and was able to get them in a much better position. Think that will be good enough. Float plan is below!

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

LyleW wrote:Okay, it isn't plastic, but it has plastic pieces/parts. Over the decades, and the last one was while I was in grad school....I've tried many times to build these things. Always struggled. Could not get the formers straight, stringers did not line up, could not get the plastic pieces cut out and cleaned up to install....you name it. Oh, I would also manage to break a number of the formers and spend an inordinate amount of time regluing things.

Good to know nothing has changed. I am glad I got this to "practice" with before taking on the DC-3. There is a love / hate relationship with these kits. Can't explain it. Anyway, here is where we are.

In that last picture, over half of the formers have had to be repaired or reattached. Ham-handedness and balsa do not mix well. On the starboard side, I may use the side keel as a "holder" to place the formers.

On a side note, if you have read this far, I bought a bottle of BSI CA glue from Guillows. I ordered the float pieces and had to add something to meet their minimum. Seems to be somewhat better than the Hobby Lobby stuff. My imagination?

Keep posting this Lyle! I love me some balsa builds! What is funny is I just got done watching a bush plane video about the different variations of Beavers in action. Great work Lyle!
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Wouh Lyle, really interesting!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Kevin, thanks! All that I have left is to finish up the floats (struts and nose piece) and cut/apply the clear “windows”. Hope to use the Silhouette cutter for that.

Kari, thank you so much! You should do one...
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Looking good Lyle!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stuart, thank you! Sort of stuck right now. Just can’t make it do what I want. Need a bjigger hammer, I guess.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”