Forgotten Infestation...

Show of your completed sci-fi products here.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Forgotten Infestation...

Post by Duke Maddog »

Hey guys, remember back when I had posted this pic of the Starship Troopers I was building and painting for a friend?

Well, I just realized that I hadn't posted the finished pics for you all! I had finished these up at least three months ago I believe and was paid a total of $65.00 for doing the lot. He was so impressed he acquired more of these bugs and troopers and wants me to do them too. I told him we'd have to re-negotiate the price; given the difficulty that I had to face with these. He agreed.

I didn't paint them according to the movies or the painting guide, but my friend Ryan stated that my paint work looked far better than either one, so without further ado, here's the finished pics:

Overall shot of the bugs and troopers:

Closeup of the troopers bracing for the onslaught:

Finally, a closeup of the bugs themselves, just before they all had 'lunch':

Since then he has brought out this game to play and everyone who played it commented on how incredible and magnificent his figures were. He keeps getting more and more requests to play this game now because of these.

My apologies for forgetting this, I hope you enjoy them. Thanks for looking in.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Re: Forgotten Infestation...

Post by Stikpusher »

Very cool! I like how the Troopers look like the ones from the animated series. Far more true to the novel than the movie was.
:ggun:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Carlos. Yeah, the troopers look more like the animated series indeed. They were also much harder to build with 14 to 15 pieces per each trooper. The bugs just had 13, but 8 of them were legs!

I have to say, I creeped out a couple other Forum members on another Forums when I posted these there. LOL! It was hilarious!

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate you stopping in.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

What scale do these figures work out to be? 1/48? 1/35? Something else?

So somebody does not like bugs?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Stikpusher wrote:Very cool! I like how the Troopers look like the ones from the animated series. Far more true to the novel than the movie was.
:ggun:

I remember the animated series. I liked those!

And I very much like these bugs and troopers! Great work, especially for such a large number.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks guys!

Yeah, Carlos, someone on another boards called them "...creepy, just like the movie which creeped me out too." LOL! Based on what I remember, I think they are closer to 1/48 scale. The troopers compared well to some 28mm figures which scale out to +/- 1/48 scale.

Thanks Borg! It sure felt like they were taking forever sometimes. I even remember being finished, putting the paints away and taking the pics; only to find an unpainted Bug hiding behind something! Man, I almost didn't paint him, but then I sat back down and got it done. After that I looked carefully around to see if any more had 'scampered' away. Fortunately, none had.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thats a Great build Duke!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Portman! Once I got past the tedium, it was quite fun. Everyone's reactions to the finished figures were worth the effort as well.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

They are 'creepy'! don't want to have them bugs even in 1/48 scale alive in my house! LoL

Nice builds on the wargaming figures. A friend showed his work a few weeks ago. lots of monsters and aliens and humans like Hulk. it was really cool. the only question I have is how do you get to build 10 or 20 same figures and aliens without feeling a bit bored. I mean, I get bored even making those MER with 6x Mk.82! (or is it just me!)
Monty / dmminiatures
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, this was a forgotten thread until now. Thanks for posting Monty!

One way I don't get bored is to have a couple side models in progress that I can go to whenever I needed a break. Yeah, they can be boring to do many multiples and sometimes even I got that way and had to force myself to bull through. Another thing that helped is that I could vary some poses and such so that not everything looks the same. The challenge in trying to keep things different can help offset the boredom. Once in a while, I'd even set them up in a line or formation and that also revived some of the mojo; making me want to add to it. Believe me, when doing something like this, you find ways to get through it.

Thanks again for stopping in. I appreciate the comments!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Completed Builds: Sci-Fi”